Rock wool Flock insulation Attics

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricguy

I have not researched very well when i encounter up to 18 inches of flock insulation in attics.

This stuff has collected dust and dirt over the 45 years since it has been installed and I need to work on my belly to install a bath exhaust fan as the roof clearance is not very much at the fan location.

Do some contractors require that the working area be clear of insulation done by others and certified safe for and respiratory issues.

Most of these jobs require a switch installed, for the fan .

The vanity light is hard to access.

so the areas in questions are the route from fan to a switch and the route from fan to existing power maybe from the kitchen light or a hallway light or even a bedroom light.

Then venting is going to be another issue. dont think i can access the soffit so it should go though the roof.

Clearing away this insulation seems to be labor intensive plus it should be put back.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's a dirty job, it's labor intensive, and it's an all-around royal pain. Charge accordingly.

If I'm asked to price a job I'd really rather not do, I give a price that even I can't refuse.

That way, if they say yes, do it, I make so much money that I don't feel so bad about it.

As for venting, the duct must exit the attic, or you'll get a lot of mold from the humidity.

satcom

It's a dirty job, it's labor intensive, and it's an all-around royal pain. Charge accordingly.

If I'm asked to price a job I'd really rather not do, I give a price that even I can't refuse.

That way, if they say yes, do it, I make so much money that I don't feel so bad about it.

As for venting, the duct must exit the attic, or you'll get a lot of mold from the humidity.

You got that right charge eniough and no job is bad

nakulak

real rock wool is fun stuff. be sure to roll around in it while you are up there, and don't forget to have fun.

cadpoint

Why not a tyvek suit and a better resperatior?

I really like plastic and cardboard or a 4'x4' piece of panel board, even a plank matie... after the path is ready for the work...

Cold shower, and think your in Hawaii, you'll be all right! :grin:

mcclary's electrical

I have not researched very well when i encounter up to 18 inches of flock insulation in attics.

This stuff has collected dust and dirt over the 45 years since it has been installed and I need to work on my belly to install a bath exhaust fan as the roof clearance is not very much at the fan location.

Do some contractors require that the working area be clear of insulation done by others and certified safe for and respiratory issues.

Most of these jobs require a switch installed, for the fan .

The vanity light is hard to access.

so the areas in questions are the route from fan to a switch and the route from fan to existing power maybe from the kitchen light or a hallway light or even a bedroom light.

Then venting is going to be another issue. dont think i can access the soffit so it should go though the roof.

Clearing away this insulation seems to be labor intensive plus it should be put back.

Don't penetrate roof, if you're in the attic, you can get it out the side wall.
Don't stir up any more insulation than you need to, clear out the bay where the fan is going, and the bay where you're fising the switch in, and don't touch the rest, that type of insulation should probably add three hrs. labor to the job, because you're gonna make alot more mess that you have to clean up.

electricguy

I quoted 700.00, not sure who is gonna pay for the 99.00 permit.Customer supplied fan/light combo,. Fish in one switch And connecting my supplied exhaust parts for wall exhaust. was hoping to exhaust right to Al punched soffit with a grill.
Then I can back here and posted this thread.

ItsHot

just do it!

just do it!

Just do it! If you have enough clearance off the rafters it will not be to bad! Do it when it's cool!! I did an art gallery/ studio in rock wool. Installed 25 cans, a bunch of track lighting!:mad: Wear thick coveralls!

c2500

Building code requires venting to the outside. Letting it go into the soffit is not the same as venting to the outside. (There was a change with that I think in the 2003 IRC) Depending on your AHJ, you may not be licensed to run the venting, they may want a mechanical contractor to do it. You should, after inspection return the insulation back to the way it was so it can do its job. Also, if you do run the duct, make sure you tape it up with UL listed tape...as in it is stamped on the tape...they are picky about that in my neck of the woods. Be sure to tape the damper assembly to the housing. Even though they clip on, they have a tendency to come off when hooking the duct on. I also shoot spray foam around the exterior of the housing to reduce attic air infiltration into the housing.

c2500

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

Building code requires venting to the outside. Letting it go into the soffit is not the same as venting to the outside. (There was a change with that I think in the 2003 IRC) Depending on your AHJ, you may not be licensed to run the venting, they may want a mechanical contractor to do it. You should, after inspection return the insulation back to the way it was so it can do its job. Also, if you do run the duct, make sure you tape it up with UL listed tape...as in it is stamped on the tape...they are picky about that in my neck of the woods. Be sure to tape the damper assembly to the housing. Even though they clip on, they have a tendency to come off when hooking the duct on. I also shoot spray foam around the exterior of the housing to reduce attic air infiltration into the housing.

c2500

They're the same way here. It's funny, you can't use duct tape on duct. You have to use the metal ul listed tape.

kbsparky

Building code requires venting to the outside. Letting it go into the soffit is not the same as venting to the outside. ...

Ummm ... I believe that the OP stated that he installed a grille in that soffit?
Sounds like venting to the outside to me.... I know we routinely buy soffit vents/grilles for this sort of thing.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Depending on your AHJ, you may not be licensed to run the venting, they may want a mechanical contractor to do it.
c2500
Great point. Why is it that electricians are expected to run the ducting for exhaust fans? When I bid a job, I always state that I will supply and install the fan but the ducting is to be done by others. Using that logic, the HVAC guy should run the branch circuit to the condensing unit since he installed it. And the plumber should run the circuit to the water heater since he installed it. I don't even know what the codes are regarding venting for exhaust fans. I've seen everything from accordian flex to PVC used. I'm tired of doing others subs work.

macmikeman

Great point. Why is it that electricians are expected to run the ducting for exhaust fans? When I bid a job, I always state that I will supply and install the fan but the ducting is to be done by others. Using that logic, the HVAC guy should run the branch circuit to the condensing unit since he installed it. And the plumber should run the circuit to the water heater since he installed it. I don't even know what the codes are regarding venting for exhaust fans. I've seen everything from accordian flex to PVC used. I'm tired of doing others subs work.

In my experience with this, it seems to get foisted upon the electrician because the general simply doesn't want to take the time or energy to get another bid(s) price from a sheet metal/ duct installation company. In short- lazy.

c2500

Ummm ... I believe that the OP stated that he installed a grille in that soffit?
Sounds like venting to the outside to me.... I know we routinely buy soffit vents/grilles for this sort of thing.

I saw that, but was making a general point that laying the duct into a vented soffit was not necessarily legal depending on what building code cycle they are under. No offense intended to the original poster, and sorry for not being specific.

c2500

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can help but compare your post with the thread entitled "bored". With the economy in this area, most E/Cs who got $700 for this install would hug the homeowner's neck and plow thru the rockwool :)

electricguy

I can think of a couple times where an oops happens , as i was tangled up in the rafters trying to turn around and foot though corner of a ceiling too.
I may of been plowing though to try and get the job done too fast. Ohh well I paid for the repairs and had a happy customer, fortunately i had lots in that small job to cover a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.