New 2008 requirements for whole house generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Thanks for the plan A.

Thanks for the plan A.

Unfortunately he wont accept plan A so I still have to figure out if I can power master the 4 heating elements. Thanks.

480sparky

Like this: The customer pays me. I tell them what they need. I do the load calc. ...........

At this point, I would tell them they have two options. Option 1). a generator big enough to carry the load.

Option 2). a Manual transfer that requires load shedding before switching to the generator.

aelectricalman

The inspector

The inspector

He requires that the load calculation be attached to the permit and notarized. Hairy, I say, Hairy.

aelectricalman

Rephase my question

Rephase my question

Does anyone know of any way to prevent some of the heating elements from coming on during genny use to avoid overload of transsy and meet electrical requirements. Can you use branch circuit load shedders to put on differnet heating elements so they will not all cut on at same time thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You could possibly add relays (contactors) that would energize when the generator was operating and open selected loads (heating elements, etc), but it sounds like "alternating" loads with something like powermaster is the only thing your customer will accept.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I agree with post #20.

I have a 400 amp service on my personal house. 2 weeks ago the the power went out for a few hours. When the power cam on both AC units kicked on , two refers, the washing machine, and a double oven and maybe 1000 watts worth of light. I though wow whats the load on the service. I ran out grabed my clamp on and read 22 amps at the meter.

So I got a 400 amp service with 22 amps on it.... Seriously how many times have you seen a house with even 25% of the service size...... (I know it happens ) but not the majority of the time. Why should I not be able to install a 10kw generator on a 400 amp auto xfr switch.

I dont think you can argue safety. Theres nothing unsafe about it.

Last edited:

Power Tech

I don't know if this is relevent.

Had a 50 KVA, 1 phase welder, 200 amps. The welder said he would never use it at full capacity. I installed a 100 amp breaker and it has been fine for years.

What's the difference?

Draconian Nazi Building Department making everybody spend more money=more taxes.

Let's stimulate the economy with expensive codes.

You know it will come down to a 50 KW generator for a 200 amp house.

How many hoops can we make the cow jump through.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's certainly easy enough to interrupt the 24vac to the compressor unit, and/or an electric furnace when on genny power.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Like this: The customer pays me. I tell them what they need. I do the load calc. and inform them in writing that there is an overload possibility.

They make the final decision.
So you don't get permits?

The code assumes somebody is going to turn on the electric range, all the lights, and jump in the spa.

They give the public no credit for common sense.
They base this on the fact that in many cases the public actually has no common sense

I have not investigated the code, it just seems the Gov't is getting out of hand.
It would be a good idea to buy a code book and the Gov't is not associated with the NFPA

Let's face it. Laws are made with boxes of money.

Maybe, but the NEC has to be adopted and enforced by the AHJ who can also amend it.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.