California General Electrician (journeyman) PSI Exam prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey people, I'm having a real hard time trying to find the right exam prep guide. I'm taking my exam for California General Electrician (journeyman). The test is going to be given by PSI based on the CA Division of apprenticeship standards. Also the exam is based on the 2002 NEC. Any advice on which prep guide I should purchase???:confused::confused::confused:

Karl H

Mike Holt's Understanding the NEC vol. 1 and 2 is the best I've ever seen.
California is still testing on 2002? I took mine in 2003 and it was on 2002.
Seems like they would be testing on 2005 by now. San Diego's "Adopted"
code is 2005. I hear in 2010 CA will adopt 2008.

Books,Books,Books

Books,Books,Books

I started with the same questions... I recently passed the PSI CA. test.. And also asked what materials (books) i needed...
I was studying a 2008 handbook from another author but needed the real thing.
I purchased a 2005 thinking it was the testing book. I was tested with a 2002 book. I didn't notice any difference as per the testing questions.
"Understanding the NEC" vs "NEC Handbook" vs The "NEC"it's self??
I have asked the difference between these books and haven't gotten a deffinative answer.
Some test answers are found word for word in the NEC.So I,m sticking with it as study material until someone convinces me different.
I do not have "Understanding" or "Handbook" i purchased the Red 2005 NEC
I will eventually find/buy "Understanding the NEC" but not sure why yet?
I think Understanding is more discriptive possibly due to some vague codes in the NEC itself....Hopefully this is correct....As for testing study the book.
Mikes 10 question test helps if you look up all answers you miss...

e57

My suggestion would be to gec an NFPA handbook if you are even going to spend money at all. And if not getting the current code - invest in the next code cycle - remembering that they do change slightly. Since it is not necessary to memorize the code - if you know HOW to look stuff up in the test - you'll be all set.... Since it seems you have ineternet access - the codes are available on-line - Free!

Some more info here:

Since California Certification tests are 100% open book there is really no way to suggest any kind of particular study guide. The main thing that you are up against is time.

The California test is not written full of distractors as I have seen in some other exams. The majority of questions are straight forward code questions or questions on general knowledge that one who is eligible to take the exam by way of hours should possess.

My best suggestion prior to the exam would be to get well aquainted with the code book. Knowing how and where to find answers to code questions in a timely fashion is the key. To do this, all you need to do is pick any study guide that has "code tests" in it and start working through them. This will help you learn the layout of the code book and where you would expect to find answers to certain questions.

Using any guide such as the ones that Mike distributes or guides from other reputable prep people will be a tremendous help. There is no substitute for study!

One last thing, be prepared for the testing center. Many test takers don't realize that the testing center will make you empty your pockets into a locker prior to being admitted to the testing lab. This can be intimidating in and of itself and tends to throw test takers off balance before they start. In addition, be prepared not to be taken back at your exact appointment time! This is another "stick in the spokes" that they throw at you. At most of those testing centers, they are testing all kinds of people for all kinds of certifications and you are just a number to them. :mad: :mad: Rest assured that once you get into the testing lab, you will have your full allotted time to take the exam. No matter what time you sit down. :D

Good Luck on your Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.