Spkr/Strobes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If one of them is added into a system can it just be tied into another spkr/strobe. But how would that be wired? There would already be 16/2(two of them) or a 16/4 already terminated at the device I am asking about tying into. Does the wires for the new device land with the other wires at the extg. Device?
Thanks

nakulak

think loop 2 in 2 out. somewhere there is an end of line possibly with resistor. break the loop and 2 go in to new device, 2 go out of new device. do not T tap (land more wires and gang them) unless the system is designed for it. maintain correct polarity.

Power Tech

think loop 2 in 2 out. somewhere there is an end of line possibly with resistor. break the loop and 2 go in to new device, 2 go out of new device. do not T tap (land more wires and gang them) unless the system is designed for it. maintain correct polarity.

Agreed. If running conduit you will have to pull from the new station to the existing device down the line. In and out, no breaks.

Also, don't forget to call the alarm co. before touching.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can run your 4 conductors (2 spk, 2 stb) to any existing device and splice into both the speaker and strobe loops just do not install a "T" tap. As mentioned you need to be cognizant of the number of devices you have on each loop.

RICK NAPIER

Remember the requirements of NFPA 72 if applicable in your area including synchronization if two units are visible at the same time. And depending on distances voltage drop is often an issue.

tyha

you could possibly just go to any device then follow the cable to the next device. Take the cable out of that device and run it to your device and go from your device to the the device that you took the cable out of. hence you are now in the loop. make sense? it depends on what type of system it is and whether you need to update zone maps and all that crazy jazz as to what you would have to do next.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I got it. So if the wiring is already installed then I would have to charge for removal of wiring from closest ectg device to bring that to new device then out of the new device into the extg. device i removed the wires from .....hence keeping the loop

nhfire77

I got it. So if the wiring is already installed then I would have to charge for removal of wiring from closest ectg device to bring that to new device then out of the new device into the extg. device i removed the wires from .....hence keeping the loop

Yes.
N
^
^
^
X--------X--------X-------X(end of circuit)

X= existing devices

N= New device

--= 2 wires for strobe, 2 wires for speaker

^= 4 wires for strobe, 4 wires for speaker

nakulak

as long as its a strobe loop. all devices aren't wired the same (you might also have a lon loop for addressable devices, speakers, etc )

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

You could just run 2-4 wire cables to an exisiting spk/str device and splice into the existing loops. Might be easier than trying to reroute the existing cables from one location to another. One caveat to this method is that the box might get rather crowded depending on its size.

Status
Not open for further replies.