Gas Furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.

sal vic

I always put a switch on a gas furnace or boiler or within sight for a disconnecting means. Sometimes it's a red emergency switch cover and sometimes it isn't. I have never failed inspection because it wasn't a red cover until recently. I know it should be red for an oil unit but I can't find any code requirements for gas.

Is there any? Where? Reference?

The location is in New Jersey

charlie

Welcome to the Forum!

I have searched the 2009 Edition of the International Residential Code and find no requirements for a red emergency switch cover for any type of switch . . . period. I highly recommend asking the AHJ for a code reference, this may be a local amendment. :)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are several items that have peaked my interest, and this is one of them. I have checked the ICC based NYS codes, and there are no requirements for the cover plate to be red. I believe a lot of individuals confuse it with the requirements of the oil furnace requirements.

hurk27

I always put a switch on a gas furnace or boiler or within sight for a disconnecting means. Sometimes it's a red emergency switch cover and sometimes it isn't. I have never failed inspection because it wasn't a red cover until recently. I know it should be red for an oil unit but I can't find any code requirements for gas.

Years ago, if I remember right it was for oil fired equipment located in a basement, and it had to be located before you would enter the basement like at the top of the stairs, and the cover had to be red, I was told that it was required for if there was a fire or just leakage from a oil line break. never made sense why with NG or LPG it wasn't required?:confused:
But it was a very old requirement, and I'm not sure what code book required it?

I haven't been required to do this in a long time.

Last edited:

Hendrix

In my juristriction, the mechanical inspector will fail a gas furnace with ANY kind of switch, including fire-o-matic.

Status
Not open for further replies.