Voltage changing with load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejeud

Came up across this situation:
I got a call that some lights flicker and some go brighter when the AC and/or other appliances go on. This is a 240 single phase system.
Anyway, after talking with the owner and after one hour of measuring voltages, turning loads on and off this is what I came up with:
1: If the loads where perfectly balanced I would get 120V to ground on each phase.
2: As soon as one phase had higher load than the other the voltage on the phase with higher load would go down while the voltage on the phase with lower load will go up.
3: So if I had A=40A and B=60A then I'd have something like A=140V and B=100V which caused the light on phase A to go brighter and the ones on phase B to go dim.
4: This was the case in reverse as well, if B had lower load than B voltage was higher and so on.
The only thing I can think of is problem with the utility transformer.
Anyone has other ideas?
Daniel Dejeu

raider1

Staff member
This sounds like you have lost the connection to the neutral. This could be at the utility transformer or in the premise wiring.

Chris

GUNNING

yup neutral ..go to the panel shut off the main look at voltage turn on main look at voltage. It is either in the meter can or the utility side. Call the utility.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Definitely the neutral, and it can be bad anywhere from the utility transformer to the panel's neutral-bus connection, inclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.