Acronym "LCL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Depends on context. Where did you encounter the acronym?

An on-line acronym source has the following listings.

Local
Less than Container Load
Le Cr?dit Lyonnais (France)
Light Center Length
Lateral Collateral Ligament
Lower Control Limit
Lower Confidence Limitlymphoblastoid cell line
Longitudinal Conversion Loss
Loeb Classical Library
Lifted Condensation Level (meteorology)
Lazarus Component Library
Less than Car Load
Link Connect Liquid
Life-Cycle Logistics
Lorentz Casimir Lyceum (Eindhoven, Netherlands high school)
Lunar Cargo Lander
Latching Current Limiter
Landing Craft Logistic
Left Collateral Ligament
Louisville Cardinals for Life
Local Control Level
Local ChecklistLa Costa Limousine (Carlsbad, CA)
Labour Congress of Liberia
Lasting Customer Loyalty
Long Continuous Load (electrical load schedules)

I encountered the term the ac distribution panel schedules of a fairly large facility in CA. The loads served by each panel were summed up as a subtotal of VA's and an amount of VA's termed "LCL" were added to this subtotal to get the total load of each panel.

broadgage

As above, but a likely meaning in the electrical industry is "light center length" this is the distance between the cap of an electric light bulb and the center of the filament or arc tube.

This is clearly a matter of some importance if the fixture must accuratly focus or direct the light, but is of much less importance for domestic or decorative lighting.

It is normally obtained from the manufacturers data, but could be measured in case of an unknown or obsolete bulb.

hockeyoligist2

IMHO (an acronym)...........!! In general I think acronym's suck. A long time ago a "big Boss" was kind of lecturing us one day about some things he was peeved about, but it was things he didn't have a clue about. He got his info from so and so, so and so, ETC. He was throwing acronym's left and right about things for which I had no clue.

Then he started on the EC's (another acronym) ;). He started throwing around PLC, VFD, ETC. I was kinda peeved by that time so I raised my hand and asked him what a VFD was. He stuttered for a minute, consulted another "big Boss" and said I have no clue. The meeting ended very soon!

rcarroll

I have to do this.

An acronym is a "word formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term".
Such as - radar, scuba, snafu, RIG ( Ron Is Great:grin:)

This is from Webster's dictionary.

Just something I had to get off my chest. Thank you.

Ron

Could someone please tell me what the acronym "LCL" stands for and how it is calculated.

I encountered the term the ac distribution panel schedules of a fairly large facility in CA. The loads served by each panel were summed up as a subtotal of VA's and an amount of VA's termed "LCL" were added to this subtotal to get the total load of each panel.

It is a very common abbreviation for "Long Continous Load". This would be ANY type of load that is expected to remain on continously for 3 hours or more. That includes (typically) lighting, heating (both space/air and water), cooking loads, but not general use convenience outlets or motors. Here in LA LA Land, we EE/EC's/PLAN reviewers also use the Acronym LML, which is "Largest Motor Load". So a typical panel schedule has totals of the connected VA or KVA, then a line "25% LCL" (which is the adder for the LCL portion of the load) then a line "25% LM or LML", the three total up for the code required feeder/service ampacity, unless other demand factors can be applied.

Most of our work involves IT rooms, and we always consider the UPS loads as LCL, because even though there is minor fluctuations, that load is continuous (or else the customer wouldn't put it on a UPS). We don't include the UPS's battery charging current as LCL, only as 100% load, not 125% load.

Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.