Any code violations here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Well it depends. Are any of those tied to a fire alarm system? What are the outputs to? Is it class 2 or 3, then again that may not matter.

wait a sec, is all the secured to a DUCT? that might be an issue.

stevenj76

Couldn't you have just bought a 5-channel power supply???!!??
Then nippled on a recep in a handy box? Is that wall-wart going back to a modem or repeater or something?

stevenj76

Yeah, they are Class 2, probably 48VA each.
The controls folks usually supply that stuff. Next time tell them you want it in a can.

cpal

Is that 3/8" FMC coming in from the upper left feeding this conglomeration of power supply's?

3/8" FMC can not feed an outlet box. 348.20(A)(1)-(5)

Possibly 300.22(B)

348.20 Size.
(A) Minimum. FMC less than metric designator 16 (trade size 1/2) shall not be used unless permitted in 348.20(A)(1) through (A)(5) for metric designator 12 (trade size 3/8).

(2) In lengths not in excess of 1.8 m (6 ft) for any of the following uses:
a. For utilization equipment

I don't see wher this section restricts a receptical suppying plug in utilization eq.

stevenj76

I don't see wher this section restricts a receptical suppying plug in utilization eq.

I would not install a ball of crap like that because of Art. 110, neat and workmanlike manner.

Who installed that? A pipefitter who drank two pots of coffee?

Stallzer

I do believe that the wall wart plugged into the receptacle is a code violation if indeed that is a plenum rated space.....unless of course this person is using a plenum rated wall wart, which I doubt.

stevenj76

That's right about the wallwart, no wallwarts in plenums or above the grid.

Looking at the install, I would double check the wiring to make sure it was all wht/blk and blu/brn. You don't want 120 coming in on the 24v winding, it starts making funny noises.

TLBryant

I would be concerned about conductor fill in the metal boxes. I would not install a receptacle in a plenum unless it is inside another enclosure - violation of NEC 300.22 (C) (2). Maybe I'm too picky, but what about NEC 110.12 - the most violated code in the NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.