200amp/100amp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan1

If I have a 100amp panel in a home and say the homeowner needs more breaker space but doesn't want a sub panel and can't afford a 200amp service change, is it legit to put in a 200amp panel and switch out the 200 amp breaker for a 100amp breaker and it be considered a 100amp box?

peter d

Just use a 200 amp rated main lug panel and put a 100 amp breaker in it for the main. Don't forget the hold down kit for the main breaker if you do that, though.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
along with peter d's idea, I would use a 200 amp panel that could be converted to a main breaker panel in the future (such as G-E's LM1620CCU7) so he could still use that panel when he upgrades and for now simply install a back-fed 100.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dan, welcome to the forum! :)

You could also add a sub-panel to the existing one. I prefer placing larger new loads in the existing panel, and relocating several smaller circuits to the sub-panel along with smaller new circuits. That allows a smaller new feeder and feeder breaker.

SEO

He may not have the space or he may have a Zinsco, Pushamatic or FPE panel and wants to upgrade who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.