60 amp temp generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I have a need to connect a 15kw temp generator. I can only find weatherproof inlet boxes up to 50A and would preffer to go with a 60 amp setup.

This is the 50
63652_200.jpg

Any ideas?

electricmanscott

I installed a DS-60 and a pair of DS-20s today. Great stuff, not sure Scott will like the price.

I don't care about the price, the guy paying for it might. ;)

The customer has a 15kw generator that runs off his tractors pto. He really wants to have that 60 amp capacity available and I'd like to make that happen. In reality I think he's going to like the 50amp setup just fine when he finds out how much this could cost.

People around here are starting to go generator crazy after last Decembers ice storm.

The problem I am seeing is the local small motor shops are selling them anything and everything they can.

This guy has a reliance 200amp panel in a nema 3 R enclosure that he bought for about four hundred bucks. The sales guy insisted he could install it himself. To install this thing you are basically rebuilding the service. This is a common situation with the jobs I've looked at recently.

I told him to return it and I would set up his existing panel with an interlock kit. Bing bang boom simple! Almost.

wireguru

You can use pin and sleeve. Not as cheap as 50a twistlock, but not as bad as meltric, etc.

For 125/250v 3p4w, 60a the leviton part numbers are
connector (female cord cap) 460C12W
inlet 460B12W
back box for inlet BX60V

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I installed a DS-60 and a pair of DS-20s today. Great stuff, not sure Scott will like the price.
Yes, it is a good product and somewhat expensive, but a lot of the pin and sleeve devices cost more and many of them are not listed for energized operation like the Meltric. Sometimes you can get Meltric to send you a free sample....but I don't think they do that for sizes larger than 30 amp.
I was working with some DR250s a couple of weeks ago with 4/0 power cable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.