Circuit breaker size (5HP, 3ph, 460V + 10KW heater)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Can anyone help me figure out the required circuit breaker size for a heat pump (5hp compressor motor + 10KW heater) for a 3 phase, 460V circuit?

thank you!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can anyone help me figure out the required circuit breaker size for a heat pump (5hp compressor motor + 10KW heater) for a 3 phase, 460V circuit?

thank you!
Hmmm..... your profile says you are an electrical engineer... but yet you don't know how to size a circuit breaker for a motor...??? Though it's just my opinion, I believe it's time for you to learn how.

If you are vaguely familiar with the NEC, you can start in Article 430...

Loki

Full load Current @460V (values obtained from NEC 430.250)
5HP = 7.6A
10KW heater = 10000/(1.732*460V) = 12.55A
Total FLA = 20.15A

the disconnecting means must be greater than 115 percent
115% of 20.15A = 23.17 (therefore minimum of 30A breaker)

Does this seem right?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Full load Current @460V (values obtained from NEC 430.250)
5HP = 7.6A
Total FLA = 20.15A

the disconnecting means must be greater than 115 percent
115% of 20.15A = 23.17 (therefore minimum of 30A breaker)

Does this seem right?

Looks good for minimum overcurrent/short circuit protection rating... now what's the maximum rating for type used....???

...and why do we need to know the maximum?

Loki

For maximum overcurrent protection

locked Rotor Current @460V (values obtained from NEC 430.250(B))
5HP = 46A
Total current = 58.55A

Therefore maximum breaker size is 60A. We need to know the maximum to protect the motor from getting damaged due to any surge in current (from a short circuit of some kind)

Am i correct?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For maximum overcurrent protection

locked Rotor Current @460V (values obtained from NEC 430.250(B))
5HP = 46A
Total current = 58.55A

Therefore maximum breaker size is 60A. We need to know the maximum to protect the motor from getting damaged due to any surge in current (from a short circuit of some kind)

Am i correct?
Afraid not. Wouldn't a lower rated overcurrent protection device (ocpd) afford better protection against a surge or short circuit? What other reason might there be for using a larger ocpd?

Perhaps the following EC&M articles?written by Mike Holt?will help:

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_motor_calculations_part/
http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_motor_calculations_part_2/index.html

Clue 1: maximum ocpd is based on motor data only
Clue 2: LRC is not the motor data to be used

Come on back if you want more info or help... sorry about putting you through it this way, but this is no different than someone studying for a test and wanting us to just give them the answer without them demonstrating any effort or learning on their part.

Loki

sorry about putting you through it this way, but this is no different than someone studying for a test and wanting us to just give them the answer without them demonstrating any effort or learning on their part.

Smart$, I do understand what you are trying to do here and I do appreciate your help. I will study these articles and respond as soon as I can.

Loki

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Loki, It's a good idea to follow Smart$ directions, but also remember that, for the most part, the pertinent circuit requirements for heat pumps with auxiliary heat are predetermined by the manufacturer per 440.4(B) and 440.22 directs us to comply with that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.