Pull Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I am installing a 1" pvc underground run from a generator to a house. The run will be about 300'. I want to put a pull point in the run, would you guys suggest a hand hole type box or a weather proof box mounted above the ground. The area it will be in had 7' of snow last year

mcclary's electrical

I am installing a 1" pvc underground run from a generator to a house. The run will be about 300'. I want to put a pull point in the run, would you guys suggest a hand hole type box or a weather proof box mounted above the ground. The area it will be in had 7' of snow last year

Is it straight?,,,,,
what's going in it? ,,,Most likely, I would just pull it without one

iMuse97

I'd do direct burial if possible.

But your suggested size of run (1") and the gennie feed leads me to ask what size wire and what size gennie you would be installing, and for what load?

I would also suggest no pull point, if the run is fairly straight. But I do not know what the elevation change is, the size of the conductors and other parameters that help to determine if a pull point is necessary.

I live in an area where we get rain and snow during the year. Generally the contractors here are using the handhole enclosures more and more. They offer a lot of flexibility. When installed properly, rain and snow are not much of an issue.

growler

I am installing a 1" pvc underground run from a generator to a house. The run will be about 300'.

I will be pulling (7) #8's and (4) #12's in it. It is an 8kw generator.

See you are already screwing yourself. You don't need a pull box in the middle of the run you need bigger conduit. Run 1 1/4" PVC and see if that doesn't pull just a bunch easier.

Sure the 1 1/4" will cost a little more but in the end you can never go wrong by making the pull as easy as possible.

iMuse97

what the sleeping dog said... and why I asked the question as to what your purpose was, to see if you could do direct burial.

I understand that you would run a conduit for 11 conductors; direct burial would not likely be a good choice here. Have you figured generously for voltage drop? You don't want the combination of running loads and inrush current draws to bog down that generator.

active1

Why so many # 8's?
What is it a 1ph and your planing on putting the transfer switch on the gen?

If so I would sugest putting the transfer switch on the building. Also upsizing to 3 #6 and 1 #8 ground.

I would upsize to 1 1/4" and / or run the control wires in a 3/4. Not much difference in price changing 1 PVC size.

laketime

The generator requires (3) #10's I am up sizing to #8's
The pump requires (2) #10's I am up sizing to #8's plus a ground and the running the (4) control wires in #12's

Status
Not open for further replies.