Uniforms...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

There's no real good place to stick this question so here it is, trade related or not. Does your employer give you uniforms to wear and you maintain them? Or do they make you pay for them and maintain them? Just curious to see what other company policies are.

rcarroll

The first 2 contractors I worked for didn't care what I wore, except to be clean & proffessional.
The last contractor bought us shirts & coats & we washed them.
The city I work for, same as the last contractor.

Ron

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
We have Carhart Henleys that are embroidered. Comfortable and look nice. We wash them.
Pants are what ever, most wear carharts.
No one liked what we got from the uniform company. Looked like someone in a service station, the coats were awful.

ultramegabob

I have used uniforms in the past, and the cleaning service was horrible, my shirts came back in worse condition than I sent them. I wound up complaining so much they tore up the contract and I just bought the uniforms and washed them myself. I also had a bunch of pocketed T-shirts made with my name and logo on the front above the pocket and on the back. I have kind of got away from them and just wear Carhartt shirts and jeans, the custom made shirts are too expensive to keep replacing every time I get a tear or a stain on them.

iwire

Staff member
Where I am they give me a bunch of different kinds of shirts, 'hoodie' sweat shirts and they recently gave us $150 in gift cards to buy khaki work pants.

We have to wash them but thats fine as I never had luck with uniform services.

chevyx92

All good info. Just curious here too but can companies legally FORCE you to buy THEIR company uniforms that they want you to wear??

chevyx92

I stand corrected, :roll:

It is only if it does not reduce the employees wages below minimum wage. see the PDF attachment

Interesting. And almost unfair. So if an employee is making say double minimum wage then they incur the maintenance of the uniforms and cost. But if an employee is making minimum wage and the cost to maintain/buy the uniforms will cut into their wages making them below minimum wage then that's when its illegal and they must give uniform allowance? Thats kind of one sided.

cruzJD

Our policy is company golf shirts with clean pants (rips in the knees are ok if there small).

We supply 5 golf shirts on day one and 5 replacements every 6 months. We keep them in stocked at the office (S-T are $5 and XXL-T are $9). We use a brand that?s good on not shrinking and order them all as ?tall? so no one thinks were plumbers.

e57

All good info. Just curious here too but can companies legally FORCE you to buy THEIR company uniforms that they want you to wear??
If they require me to wear a tuxedo - they had better provide and clean it... :roll: That said it also is an item in many state laws, and may vary...
Uniforms. If an employer requires that an employee wear a uniform, the employer must pay the cost of the uniform. Labor Code Section 2802, Industrial Welfare Commission Orders, Section 9. The term "uniform" includes wearing apparel and accessories of distinctive design and color.
REF

brian john

We furnish, pocket T-shirts , golf shirts, long sleeve T-shirts, sweat shirts, jackets. Our generator men get pants and shirts from a company that cleans them.

brian john

Oh and dress shirts for office personnel.

The electricians are responsible for cleaning their own shirts.

Same for Nomex clothing we furnish all clothing pants, shirts, lab coats, coveralls and any other clothing required to meet requirements of the equipment the techs are around.

All clothing is 100 % cotton.

We tried pants but the guys preferred Levi's or Wranglers

Status
Not open for further replies.