medical exam office fit out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone.
I'm in need of some advice on short notice. I looked at a not to big or small tennent fit out (medical) late afternoon on Friday.
It's my first opportunity to bid on one. The guy needs my estimate Monday morning.

This job requires demo work consisting of probably 2.5-3 days I figure. (take out existing outlets and wires in rooms that will be adapted to exam rooms and same in a reception area. Lights can stay with the exception of relocating 2 or 3.)

There are 4 exam rooms ( 3 outlets in each room- 2 on opposite walls and one above the counter-no sink)

There is one patient bathroom in a hallway.

Then I'm putting outlets in rooms other than exam room.

My question/questions- is there a base price per hole for a medical outlet/hospital grade?
Should I charge separate price for home run with hospital grade? How much?
How should I price my demo of 2.5-3days?
Think this info would really help and he's getting other bids. He stressed that he's running tight ship with budget and also complimented me on past work stating I was very meticulous but worries it will cost him more cause I'm thorough. (never heard that before, glad he didn't say I'm a slob and slow. Rather have the compliment) I will have a guy help me.

Can you help as I'll be working on this estimate blind.

Thanks
staticcontrol

Prices range dramatically from one area to another.
The best advice is to get pricing of material and equipment from your supply house and figure your costs. Price the job

...then lower that price by 75% if you actually want the job. It seems today making money on jobs is not the priority, getting the job is.;)

mcclary's electrical

The best advice is to get pricing of material and equipment from your supply house and figure your costs. Price the job

...then lower that price by 75% if you actually want the job. It seems today making money on jobs is not the priority, getting the job is.;)

This is the most ridiculous statement I've evr read.IMO

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I looked at a not to big or small tennent fit out (medical) late afternoon on Friday.

Are you bidding from a set of plans? Are hospital grade rec's specked? Not required in exam rooms. Do you have a good grasp of 517? Aside from specs, only real difference here is a 517.13 wiring method in the exam rooms.

iwire

Staff member
This is the most ridiculous statement I've evr read.IMO

wow. that was profound. Are you Union?

still hoping to get real advice.

Gentlemen

This is real advice.

This is what is commonly known as a joke, a tip off is the absurdity and the wink.

Pierre is and has been a businessman for many years, probably more years than he will want to admit. :grin:

Bob
Thanks for telling everyone how old I am.:grin:

The first part of my first response was sincere. It is difficult at best to give someone from another area concrete numbers, and in this difficult economy who knows what is happening locally.
The second part of my response was in humor. Sorry some did not see that, I meant no harm. Union or not (I worked both union and non-union).

cadpoint

MO

Is this the standard practice of the GC to be last minute for your bid?

I've heard of these things happening before, oh yeah we need an electrician is this due to us being the
later chapters of the building code or is it that the GC can't believe the prices they've already recievied?

I've also heard that nothing good comes out of these situations.
I doult you will have 2-3 days of clear running work space, it'll be elbows and ego's of all the trades.

I'd run you price and add 25% not deduct!

Sorry I'm no help on the required bid, but good luck just the same.

bradleyelectric

Wiring method in patient care areas.

The way you would price this job would be the same as you would price any other tenant fitout. Have you priced any of them? A days demo is a days demo if it is a gas station or a hospital. How did you come up with how long it will take to demo? I estimate jobs by determining how long each item would take to do. If it is a 1880 hr tenant space the method of applying the hours is different than calculating the price of residential service work which would include a kitchen rehab.

It would be kind of difficult to teach someone how to do commercial estimating in a public forum with no idea what the person on the other ends capabilities are. The only upside I know of for doing this would be on a hidden page of a website so it could drive traffic to the public areas of the site.

Last edited:

satcom

MO

Is this the standard practice of the GC to be last minute for your bid?

I've heard of these things happening before, oh yeah we need an electrician is this due to us being the
later chapters of the building code or is it that the GC can't believe the prices they've already recievied?

I've also heard that nothing good comes out of these situations.
I doult you will have 2-3 days of clear running work space, it'll be elbows and ego's of all the trades.

I'd run you price and add 25% not deduct!

Sorry I'm no help on the required bid, but good luck just the same.

I am thinking pretty much the same, and I bet he can't believe the prices he alerady received, anyone with experience on jobs like this understand the job conditions and trade schedules can run the hours up.
The GC is most likely in a panic, because he may of bid low, and now expects the other trades to bid low, and he is supprised they are comming in higher, don't forget there are GC that can't estimate to make money, You may laugh at the Post about reducing 75% but at times,there is some truth to it.

HI ALL,

The exam rooms will not include overnight stay. I will use hospital grade wire but not sure if I'll use hospital grade devices since it's not required unless there is overnight stay.

I just met this building manager recently, and he decided to throw me the opportunity to bid last minute. The work for construction demo starts on Monday but I know the place won't be built to suit next week. This man just wants my estimate by Monday Morning. Not a huge place but will keep me busy if I get it for a week. Sorry if I thought the 75% joke was real advice. My apologies.

I will take out my cost book right now and start making an assemblie to see how it adds up. I have a material list of what I need with prices. This should be the better way.

Sincerely,

Staticcontrol

HI ALL,

Sorry if I thought the 75% joke was real advice. My apologies.

It is not always easy to judge what an individual here is trying to say. I am glad you understand it way in a joking manner.

I will take out my cost book right now and start making an assemblie to see how it adds up. I have a material list of what I need with prices. This should be the better way.

Sincerely,

Staticcontrol

Maybe you can post what you are intending to install/qoute and then a response can be had as to what some think about the methods and materials you plan on installing.

I'm working on this right now. I propose an assemblie will consist of a deep metal 1900 box with side mount brackets, mc connectors, 4 mc straps, hospital grade 12/2 mc, hospital grade device, 5/8" mud ring single gang and a metal duplex outlet plate. Of course I will add seperate charge for a home run. Only 4 exam room and a patient bathroom.

Then there is common area demo work and recetion area outlets. Not a huge job but one that I'd love to obtain. Not the type of guy to undercut anyone. Just looking for an idea to come up with a decent proposal.

Mr. Wizard

Pierre isn't as far out of line as it may seem. In this economy, people are cutting throats left and right to get work, often times cutting their own throat in the process. Like he said, figure your material costs, be sure to re-read any specs and submittals to verify exactly what is needed, realistically figure how long it will take to complete the job, add a little for cushion, and good luck winning your project - I hope it is a success. But really, don't cut your price by 75% to get the job even though a lot of EC's will do just that. Bear in mind if you don't win this one, there will be others.

I just finished compiling an assemby. I added tax and some mark-up on material. Then I did an hrly rate times craft hrs. My assembly came to $152.67 each outlet.

Includes: metal box with appropriate clamps for mc, hospital grade outlet, wire nuts, mc straps, 5/8" mud ring, 12/2 HSPGRD MC and outlet plate/ and labor. I based it on a rate of $120 per hr to cover cost of 2 guys. This still doesn't include home runs and other wiring and demo. Does this sound about right?

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

mcclary's electrical

Bob
Thanks for telling everyone how old I am.:grin:

The first part of my first response was sincere. It is difficult at best to give someone from another area concrete numbers, and in this difficult economy who knows what is happening locally.
The second part of my response was in humor. Sorry some did not see that, I meant no harm. Union or not (I worked both union and non-union).

WWhhhhhhheeeww!!! I thought you were serious!:grin: My apologies;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In your original post you stated: "lights can stay". Be careful as 517.13 still has "special" requirements for patient care lighting circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.