Extending-- Audio/Video cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Hi Guys, I relocated a TV to the other side of the room 25feet away from my DVD player and Comcast cable box. I can extend the Comcast cable with an RG6 and its connectors but how do I extend the Red, White and Yellow Wires from the DVD to the TV ??? I would perfer to do this by providing Stationary Wall plates in the wall where I would only need to plug into them with 4 foot cables from the equipment.
Sorry, but the above problem seems a bit confusing to me, I deal mainly with high voltages not signals.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is there some reason you cannot put the DVD player closer to the TV?

Aside from that, extending composite A/V cables is just like extending any other... you use suitable cable and connectors. If signal degradation is noticeably too much, buy a composite A/V amplifier.

mjc

The reason the DVD is not near the TV... The TV is next to a fireplace and the DVD is in an entretainment center that cannot be put next to the TV because of Physical Space in the room. Like I said I would perfer to do this by a stationary wall plate but dont know what type of WIRE or ENDS would be used for this type of application. ???? Please Help!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The reason the DVD is not near the TV... The TV is next to a fireplace and the DVD is in an entretainment center that cannot be put next to the TV because of Physical Space in the room. Like I said I would perfer to do this by a stationary wall plate but dont know what type of WIRE or ENDS would be used for this type of application. ???? Please Help!
If you want to use a wall plate, you get an RCA jack wallplate: example... not a recommedation for supplier: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...-c19000-c19011.html?sorter=productname-en-asc
Typically the same jack is used on the hidden side of the wallplate.

You can use most any cable rated for audio frequencies for the red and white. The yellow has to be rated for rf in the MHz frequency range or better... and the lower the losses are for the cable type the better. There are cables made specifically for such purpose, and perhaps you can find extra long ones simply by searching online. I have some 25' component video cables that will work just fine for your application if they are actually long enough. The point here is you can also use higher frequency rated cable.

You can also make your own ;) ; using RG-6 is becoming more commonplace. The main thing thereafter is matching the connectors to the type of cable.

nhfire77

Pull 2 or more CAT5e (since its only 25 feet pull 4, it may come in handy down the line) then they can use a HDMI converter to transmit HD over to the TV. Of course 2 RG-6 as well would be better than one. If, they don't want to spend the $$ for the HDMI TX/RX, then you can do the RCA over the CAT5e as well. It also future proofs (for at least a few years.)

You can just use Leviton RCA 110 punch down jacks that will fit into one of their quickport wall plates. You can get those just about anywhere. But, run the CAT5e. Of course you could run an actual HDMI cable, but, if they only want RCA right now, don't bother.

This site has everything, but its a bit pricey, use it to compare. All the leviton Quick port jacks and plates are there.

http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/dept_id_561.htm

There are more than a few HDMI set ups out there. I buy from ADI. I've used these guys before:

http://www.svideo.com/

Pass the savings on to the customer!!!!! And make some $

Last edited:

wshoard

You can use regular coax cable to extend your A/V connection to your TV. At 25' you can use RG-59 with no problem, the RCA type connectors and crimper for RG-59 are availalbe at Home Depot.

hurk27

generally we used 5 RG-59 coax runs between the tv and source, times how many source feeds they wish to take over to the tv, most PIP requires two sources, but it can get crowded behind the TV, and should be landed in a box with proper terminal plates. Sony uses separate signals to control other Sony equipment through the HDMI cable so special thought needs to be in place when dealing with certain brands of equipment, I have in the past run a 2" PVC between the two points to allow future changes, leaving it ended with a bushing, just above the wall box opening, or ran to any accessable location such as attic or crawl space.

Status
Not open for further replies.