medical exam office fit out

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Good morning all,

Here I am seeing if there are any interesting posts to follow up the original.

Good morning.
Looks like it was pretty well covered :grin:
I might add, based on your post #48, no doubt you are aware, but to be sure, you will need to check the existing switches to assure they meet 517.13(B) also.

Augie,
What really concerns me is this: I'm an new source to him and he has made it clear that he feels my prices are high on a few other things I did for him. I've only done about 3 things for him. My rate is $75 an hour for mechanic and $45 with an apprentice.

He tells me he is concerned about that but always follows it with a compliment of my work. I know for sure, my rate is fair. Also know there are others who are higher all the way around. If he awards me this bid, I'm nevous that he'll say go lower on an already fair price. I'll remain optimistic.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Although I spent some of my career as a contractor, there are many here far better qualified to give advice. Over the years, I have watched their comments with interest and it appears to me that the consensus is to price fairly and stick to your price. It seems you have to find the "right" customer for what you deliver. It sounds as if your work pleases him so he must want your quality. All you can do is try your best.

satcom

Although I spent some of my career as a contractor, there are many here far better qualified to give advice. Over the years, I have watched their comments with interest and it appears to me that the consensus is to price fairly and stick to your price. It seems you have to find the "right" customer for what you deliver. It sounds as if your work pleases him so he must want your quality. All you can do is try your best.

To price fairly usually means use plenty of pixi dust, and don,t let real world business decisions become part of your pricing, wing it and things should work out, and if in doubt just look at what the other guy is doing, the real problem is the electrician is most likely a good mechanic, and has worked in the trade as an employee, then when he enters the business end he lets his heart rule, and then tends to follow the golden rules, rather then applying good business methods, and falls into a rut, but don't think it is only a problem with electricians, in my opinion any of the trades entering the business world face the same issues, and only time and learning from experience and mentors the all the lessons be learned.
I also think his pricing is in the ball park, and it appears he is really trying to do his best at getting the work.

iMuse97

Augie,
What really concerns me is this: I'm an new source to him and he has made it clear that he feels my prices are high on a few other things I did for him. I've only done about 3 things for him. My rate is $75 an hour for mechanic and $45 with an apprentice.

He tells me he is concerned about that but always follows it with a compliment of my work. I know for sure, my rate is fair. Also know there are others who are higher all the way around. If he awards me this bid, I'm nevous that he'll say go lower on an already fair price. I'll remain optimistic.

I've read your posts, and the responses with interest, and just want to wish you the best. With the others I agree: If you can make money at that price, great! Don't lower it to where you can't make any. All the best. Karl

ksmith846

I fully understand that Gus. Our normal wiring method is to take HCFMC to supply the switch then MC to the fixtures. Compliant?

I am with you on this one.....I will have to get the NEC Article to back it up, but we always wire the circuit and switch box with Hospital Grade and the Luminaire (above 7.5 feet) with standaed MC.......is not the intent to protect the Patient......they cannot touch the lighting fixture....only the switch and the redundant gronding is in place there.

Please provide the NEC article which states luminaires above 7.5 feet in Patient Care areas require both grounding methods...???

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Please provide the NEC article which states luminaires above 7.5 feet in Patient Care areas require both grounding methods...???

They don't, they only need the metalic sheath, the insulated conductor can be illiminated for the fixtures, see 517.13(B) Exception No 2, this was pointed out in post # 27.

Roger

Hello imuse97, Augie, Satom, and Chris,

Thank you for the responses. Also thanks to others. I appreciate it. Chris-I live in NJ.
Hope all had a good day. Myself-just returned from NYC with many friends and today was awesome there.

One last thing for anyone on right now. I have to submit this bid first thing Monday morning. Do I need to itemize everything or can I just use language like "as per the scope of work given to me I propose "x" amount and will furnish and install etc?

bradleyelectric

Hello imuse97, Augie, Satom, and Chris,

Thank you for the responses. Also thanks to others. I appreciate it. Chris-I live in NJ.
Hope all had a good day. Myself-just returned from NYC with many friends and today was awesome there.

One last thing for anyone on right now. I have to submit this bid first thing Monday morning. Do I need to itemize everything or can I just use language like "as per the scope of work given to me I propose "x" amount and will furnish and install etc?

You should always write your own scope.
We will include:
License and permits
(3) general use receptacles
(5) single pole switches
(2) 2x4 lay in fixtures

There is no mistake what you are including. If they try to tell you at some point in time "There is a transformer pad on the plans" you can counter with "You can pour concrete all over this place and call it whatever you want. There is no transfer switch on this riser, no generator shown and no generator on my scope."

nyerinfl

Proposal should reference the drawing numbers/date/architect, your price. Then write your inclusions (what are you providing for this amount of money?) and your exclusions, whatever they might be, permit fees, concrete cutting, whatever. You can include payment terms if you want, and use this as your contract, or present a real contract with additional terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.