125 hp motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK_EDDIE

Looking for a little help on this one , I've been asked to just supply power for an air compressor in a plant. so far the only information is the FLC is the standard FLC of 156 amps . I know that isnt much to work with, the feed is about 40 feet, Its coming from a Square D I-line panel 480v . Im not sure what type of starting device its coming with either .
430.22 125% x 156 = 195 amps
310.16 75c = 3/0
I guess in asking about the i-line breaker , with a 200 amp breaker will it handle the inrush current, I know im missing a lot of information but if i could get some input. thanks !

Cold Fusion

There are plenty on here that can give you a positive answer. I can't.

I'd get the trip curve for the CB and lay out a reasonable motor starting curve. See if the starting curve fits under the trip curve.

cf

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd most likely go with a 250 amp breaker, you're allowed to round up from the 150% multiplier. A compressor this large is most likely a rotary on a soft start or vfd, but I'd probably still use the largest breaker code will allow. If it trips on startup, the exceptions to 430.52 will allow you to go larger.

active1

Let me take a shot at this.

125 HP / 460v 3ph motor is 156a FLC
Table 430.52 Inverse time breaker use 250%.
156a X 250%= 390a
Nixt standard size 400a circuit breaker.
Conductor size with THHN & 75 degree terminals 2/0 cu (175a).
250.122 Equipment ground #3 cu.
Minimum size EMT 1.5" (I would go with 2").
Let me know if I did it right.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I always use wound rotor in the table, but I've been taught to use squirrel cage also. I don't really know which one is right....:confused:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Opinion based on field experience not engineering knowledge: 200 may be pushing your luck depending on the type of starting. Is the breaker existing ?
If not Square D has 225 amp and 250 amp available in the same frame sizes for I-Line breakers. As pointed put, you could normally go 400 (larger frame, of course, which could be a problem)
Compressors that size start "unloaded" and that should help. With luck it is a soft start or some reduced voltage type starting, also that size I-Line breaker normally has an adjustable magnetic trip which will help you.

I have seen 125 hp start/run on 200 amp breakers.

tryinghard

Most likely squirrel cage motor, it's most common. I?m sure costs matters but why not go to the max on the inverse time breaker 430.52?
Breaker: 400a (430.52)
Circuit conductors: 3/0 cu (430.22(A))

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You really need to know what they are using for the motor controller. If it is a VFD, everything changes as far as the sizing of the conductors and the breaker on the line side of the VFD.

active1

Most likely squirrel cage motor, it's most common. I?m sure costs matters but why not go to the max on the inverse time breaker 430.52?
Breaker: 400a (430.52)
Circuit conductors: 3/0 cu (430.22(A))

My bad. Forgot the 125% on the conductors.
156a X 125% = 195a 3/0 cu

Status
Not open for further replies.