Inspector issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzJD

I ran power out to a 50 by 70 poll barn 200? form another building. There are (2) 12 by 40 wood fired pottery kilns that are part way under the roof. I have been there towards the end of the heat up stage and got plenty of temp measurements on the out sides of the kilns and different parts of the building. I got a copy of the build plans and went over everything with the head electrical inspector. He approved the plans, the fixtures, and I pulled the permit.

I had the inspector out to get my conduit inspection and he said it would be ?nice to see one more light? and passed; I did add the light after he left. We pulled all the wires and made up the breaker box and passed the ruff in with out any issues.

I went back this morning finished everything up pulled the LOTO off the feeding breaker and tested everything. Tossed the LOTO back on and called for an inspection. The plumbing / residential electrical inspector shows up and I failed. He wants me to add 10 receptacles, 4 more light fixtures, separate the neutrals and ground, bond both water hydrants, and pull a ground wire.

I called him and arranged a time to meet him on site. I had seen him a few times but this was the first time I talked to him. We went over the singed planes but would not budge on the added lights and receptacles. We talked about the only other utility that went out there was water and it was run in a polly pipe; he still says I need to pull the bond screw out of the panel and pull a ground wire. He clams that the 2 hydrants that are 12? form the building ?could ground someone so they need to be bonded? (there 3? in the ground). When he called the violations I opened my code book and he read them out loud. I also had him read codes that supported my installs but he clams he right and was going to email the violations before he left the office (I?m posting this at 8:30 pm) and I still have not gotten them. He says it?s too unsafe to even give temp power.

The head electrical inspector has the swine flu and the residential / commercial inspector is out of town. I emailed the head electrical inspector and he says that he has a list of complaints a mile long on this guy and he will be out on Monday (10-12) for the final inspection.

But the owner needs power out there form Thursday (10-8) morning till some time Sunday so he can fire the kilns. He also needs power when they unload them but not sure of when that is. I explained it all to the owner and he understands all the issues but if the power is not on he will be dragging out his 20 amp twist lock with 250? of 10-3 with ground that has 2 outlets on the end. But it dose plug into 2 poll 20 amp GFCI.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?
Let him drag his cord through the grass and use it.
Pull the lock off the breaker feeding the panel and replace it with a zip tie and give the owner a replacement zip tie.
Fix everything to his standards and loss my butt in the job.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

AV ELECTRIC

There is another option, let the owner pay for the additional work and you will get him power by the date he will need it. If he does not want to pay for the additional work I would wait till the lead inspector gets back. If the owner wants to use cords thats his decision if you think thats unsafe then let him know. Be tackful let the owner know what your up against you cant do this work for free.

mcclary's electrical

I ran power out to a 50 by 70 poll barn 200’ form another building. There are (2) 12 by 40 wood fired pottery kilns that are part way under the roof. I have been there towards the end of the heat up stage and got plenty of temp measurements on the out sides of the kilns and different parts of the building. I got a copy of the build plans and went over everything with the head electrical inspector. He approved the plans, the fixtures, and I pulled the permit.

I had the inspector out to get my conduit inspection and he said it would be “nice to see one more light” and passed; I did add the light after he left. We pulled all the wires and made up the breaker box and passed the ruff in with out any issues.

I went back this morning finished everything up pulled the LOTO off the feeding breaker and tested everything. Tossed the LOTO back on and called for an inspection. The plumbing / residential electrical inspector shows up and I failed. He wants me to add 10 receptacles, 4 more light fixtures, separate the neutrals and ground, bond both water hydrants, and pull a ground wire.

I called him and arranged a time to meet him on site. I had seen him a few times but this was the first time I talked to him. We went over the singed planes but would not budge on the added lights and receptacles. We talked about the only other utility that went out there was water and it was run in a polly pipe; he still says I need to pull the bond screw out of the panel and pull a ground wire. He clams that the 2 hydrants that are 12’ form the building “could ground someone so they need to be bonded” (there 3’ in the ground). When he called the violations I opened my code book and he read them out loud. I also had him read codes that supported my installs but he clams he right and was going to email the violations before he left the office (I’m posting this at 8:30 pm) and I still have not gotten them. He says it’s too unsafe to even give temp power.

The head electrical inspector has the swine flu and the residential / commercial inspector is out of town. I emailed the head electrical inspector and he says that he has a list of complaints a mile long on this guy and he will be out on Monday (10-12) for the final inspection.

But the owner needs power out there form Thursday (10-8) morning till some time Sunday so he can fire the kilns. He also needs power when they unload them but not sure of when that is. I explained it all to the owner and he understands all the issues but if the power is not on he will be dragging out his 20 amp twist lock with 250’ of 10-3 with ground that has 2 outlets on the end. But it dose plug into 2 poll 20 amp GFCI.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?
Let him drag his cord through the grass and use it.
Pull the lock off the breaker feeding the panel and replace it with a zip tie and give the owner a replacement zip tie.
Fix everything to his standards and loss my butt in the job.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

I'd start a poll:D hint hint,,,,,,,,I vote option 2

Buck Parrish

Cruz are you under 08 or 05 code?
Is this inspector a licensed electrician?

I would use the 10-3 temp cord. The world won't end if you wait a few days. Seems like some things get blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

cruzJD

I pulled 2 hot?s and a full sized neutral in PVC.

I?m under the 08.

I don?t know if he is a licensed electrician. This was the first time I have dealt with him. I have seen him do tons of plumbing inspections and know he helps out with residential electrical when he?s needed.

To the owner it?s not a huge issue if he uses his cord and he understands about the different inspectors. I feel that his temp cord is unsafe after using it 20 times with them tossing it over a gravel road and driving over it.

Buck Parrish

Well, I guess you know if it's under 08. And if it's considered a separate structure, then a 4 wire is required. Neutral and ground isolated from each other.
So; better wait for the other inspector.

cruzJD

You?ll are right on the feeder needing the ground conductor. This is the first feeder I?ve run since we went to the 08 a few months back.

I over looked that and thank you.

cruzJD

I emailed the inspector last night telling him I was wrong about 250.32(b). I also asked if he realized that we were reading the 2005 off my laptop and not the 2008.

I got a replay around 10 am that was forwarded form both of the inspectors. It says pull the EGC and he will come back out and give a temp power or pass it. He didn?t realize that the long brick and mortar tubes were kilns so he wanted the whole thing to have lights and outlets.

I sent him back a thank you and a few picks of added circuits that were added during an addition that were not mine. A warning that I would be calling him around 2 to inspect my part of the work. It wasn?t long till he was on the phone calling me to ask a few questions like we never had never butted heads.

Tomorrow I?ll be with in a mile of the place and will pull a GEC for it. I?m just glad I put used 4? PVC and I always pull an ?Ideal polyline? with runs over 100?. It should not be too hard to get that wire in the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.