aluminum to copper splicing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnnsarmijo

aluminum to copper connection

aluminum to copper connection

you need to use the approved wire nuts for this installation.go to home depot or a e supply. house ask for the purple wire nuts that are approved for aluminum to copper connections for splicing branch circuits.

iMuse97

That's the one, the purple ideals seem to have the corner on the market. There's liability all 'round when you start messing with that aluminum wire. I know a guy (larger EC) who had long discussions with his insurance co. when they did some work on apartment rehabs. with al. wire. They finally allowed this method.

This is actually a residential service, where the poco has 'copper' wire comming in, the the customer 's service entrance conductors (? ) goes to the meter is aluminum not branch circuit conductors. I was just curious as what butt splice or type of split bolts they use to connect the copper to aluminum wire. The size of the aluminum is 4/0 4/0 2/0 . I forget what size the drop from the pole is.

and since this is a temporary hookup, (i do not agree with what the contractor used to hook this up TEMPORARY until the city inspector comes out to do the final check) the contractor basically used romex box connectors (YIKES) to hold this together and taped them!! Why not just use split bolts this would make it easy for the poco to make their transition too and still be legal??! good thing its only for 2 days.

hardworkingstiff

and since this is a temporary hookup, (i do not agree with what the contractor used to hook this up TEMPORARY until the city inspector comes out to do the final check) the contractor basically used romex box connectors (YIKES) to hold this together and taped them!! Why not just use split bolts this would make it easy for the poco to make their transition too and still be legal??! good thing its only for 2 days.

I agree, YIKES! Split bolts would sure make a lot more sense.

mcclary's electrical

This is actually a residential service, where the poco has 'copper' wire comming in, the the customer 's service entrance conductors (? ) goes to the meter is aluminum not branch circuit conductors. I was just curious as what butt splice or type of split bolts they use to connect the copper to aluminum wire. The size of the aluminum is 4/0 4/0 2/0 . I forget what size the drop from the pole is.

Alot of die hards get tired of the poco guys keeping their split bolts or taps. I've seen many people do exactly as you just said. But it seems the power company never says anything to them. just to save a dollar

~Shado~

Alot of die hards get tired of the poco guys keeping their split bolts or taps. I've seen many people do exactly as you just said. But it seems the power company never says anything to them. just to save a dollar

Are you saying that they expect POCO to leave them onsite and have to go back and pick them up? Odd...

Here, they are just part of the material needed and charged as such. We don't expect to go back and pick them up...not worth it $ wise.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I generally don't mess with the connections at the POA; that's the POCO's domain. I usually run the old meter-base's load wires into the new meter-base's terminals, and plug the meter back into the old base when I'm done. That's what the Blue Book says.

Status
Not open for further replies.