Secondary of a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabatman

Here's my situation: I am looking to feed a 200A load off a 500kVA 480/208V transformer. Primary side is a 800A breaker I believe. Right now there is a 1000A disconnect fused at 600A on the secondary. According to 250.21, with the 10ft tap, I would be at 184.8A. It also says you can't extend the secondary feeders past the device it feeds. I assume then I can't tap off the secondary and then feed a 200A disconnect to feed my load. Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

My new plan then is to have a 200A panelboard in-line with the 600A fuses to step it down and then feed my 200A non-continuous load. Does this work? Also, would I even need a panelboard? Couldn't I just have a box with lugs to land the 600A wire and then step down to a 200A breaker in a box? Is there a better solution that I'm missing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm confused, but maybe I can shed some light.
As far as the transformer is concerned, look at 450.3(B). If your primary protection is 125% then you don't need to worry about secondary protection.
If your primary is over 125% then you need to restrict your total secondary protection.
As far as the wiring is concerned, you guide for transformers is 240.21(C).
Remember you can't tap a tap, but you can have multiple tap conductors from the transformer.
As far as your panel is concerned, see 408.36

dana1028

As far as the transformer is concerned, look at 450.3(B). If your primary protection is 125% then you don't need to worry about secondary protection.
If your primary is over 125% then you need to restrict your total secondary protection.

Maybe I'm confused too, but his XO sure seems like a delta-wye configuration [480/208]; if so, 240.21 requires secondary protection regardless of the size of primary protection. [240.21 "multiphase (other than delta-delta) XO secondary conductors are not considered protected by the primary OCPD."]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
dana, I'll stick by what I say:

I don't think it differs from your comment as you quote 240.21 which
addressed overcurrent protection for the conductors, not the transformer.

I'm confused, but maybe I can shed some light.
As far as the wiring is concerned, you guide for transformers is 240.21(C).
Remember you can't tap a tap, but you can have multiple tap conductors from the transformer.
As far as your panel is concerned, see 408.36

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Perhaps I should have punctuated differently :grin:
In my statement "As far as the transformer is concerned, look at 450.3(B). If your primary protection is 125% then you don't need to worry about secondary protection." I intended to note that 450 covers transformer protection and NO secondary protection is required FOR TRANSFORMER PROTECTION if you have 125% primary protection per 450.3(B).
240.4(F) and 240.21(C) cover conductor protection and 408.36 covers panels and determine whether oveercurent protection is needed in regard to conductors & panels.

dana1028

dana, I'll stick by what I say:

I don't think it differs from your comment as you quote 240.21 which
addressed overcurrent protection for the conductors, not the transformer.

Augie - I agree with you 100% - but I don't think the OP was concerned with the XO, he was asking about the secondary wiring. That said, after rereading his post 3x, I don't think we've answered his question.

?? He now has an existing 600A fused disco on the secondary, and he only wants to supply a 200A rated panelboard? Is that what he's asking?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Augie - I agree with you 100% - but I don't think the OP was concerned with the XO, he was asking about the secondary wiring. That said, after rereading his post 3x, I don't think we've answered his question.

?? He now has an existing 600A fused disco on the secondary, and he only wants to supply a 200A rated panelboard? Is that what he's asking?

I'm not sure. As I started "confused". I was trying to give some basics that might answer his question. I doubt I did.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.