Old BX cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a document that was created from a study that could be used in court. It would show case study that old BX, when installed works properly. When installed in a manner that allowed for loose connections, that the jacket of the cable heated to the point of starting fires.

iwire

Staff member
Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers

No information gathered from this web site shall be treated as being the opinion of an 'expert witness, and you do not have anyone's permission to present such information as evidence in any type of legal dispute.

So if anyone can point to documents that may help that is fine but do not offer any opinions they will be removed.

celtic

I would start my search with some of the MFG'ers websites...might take an email/phone call to make it happen

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You might want to check the popular trade magazines (EC&M, Electrical Contractor, etc.) online for back issues. Seems to me that if there was such a study done someone would have published the results along the way.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am only looking for a study that was done. I read it some time ago and I have been unable to find it. Any help in locating the study would be very helpful.

Here's a study, but not specifically regarding BX.

http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/foia04/os/firejournal.pdf

Here's a link to an online article, quoted in part below. Perhaps you can contact the persons mentioned.

http://www.fireengineering.com/disp...MBIENT-AIR-SUPPLY-TO-HIGH-RISE-FIRES:-UPDATE1

BX CABLE REVISITED

In the March 2000 Ol' Professor column, I spoke of a fire started by a BX cable. I received a letter from Prentice Cushing (see Letters to the Editor, page 46). He's a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and a fellow of the American College of Forensic Examiners.

He writes: "If a neutral conductor on the service entrance opens, then the only neutral path becomes the ground (not intended to carry current), and I have seen many cases where the BX armor became the path from a fault to where the cable touches a water pipe and supplies a water pump or water heater; as a result, the armor overheats and starts a fire."

Regarding the above paragraph, a number of years ago, the Smithsonian Institution suffered a devastating fire. A large display with hanging sheets of clear plastic and a number of electrical devices was built up on a wooden platform. As a result of some defect, the entire mass of armored cable became "like a large toaster." This fire has a number of useful points which I will relate in a subsequent column.

old bx

old bx

I believe the study was done in part by GE in in an effort to disprove that "BX" was unsafe. The date of it I am not sure of. It could have been back in the 60'S. I am using it only as a reference point. I just thought I would give you guys a try. Thanks for any help that you can give.

Power Tech

I am looking for a document that was created from a study that could be used in court. It would show case study that old BX, when installed works properly. When installed in a manner that allowed for loose connections, that the jacket of the cable heated to the point of starting fires.

What is the motivation behind this? Are you a witness or being sued?

I was taught the same thing stated already. The small ground wire would burn off, the jacket becoming a heater.

With the MC that has a full sized ground is why you don't need the red devil bushing. Even though I personally use them.

Last edited:

celtic

With the MC that has a full sized ground is why you don't need the red devil bushing. Even though I personally use them.

The EGC in MC has nothing to do with an anti-short....the construction of the connector ~ which keeps the conductors centered in the connector ~ is the reason why a redhead is not required.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Status
Not open for further replies.