Mounting Flat TVs with a suspended ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittle

I have a project starting tomorrow that involves mounting (5) 47" flat TV's below a suspended ceiling over a bar in a restaurant. These are not mounted to a wall but suspended by a pole type mount that ties into the roof structure or ceiling grid. The ceiling is dropped 34? from the roof structure with painted 24? ceiling tiles. The customer provided the mounts but they're too short for the drop ceiling and I?m struggling with a method to use the brackets and maybe some Unistrut to the roof structure with threaded rod?
Any experience with this mounting process or something else that is quick and will pass inspection.

Many thanks - Brittle

Last edited:

wireguru

what are the mounts the bar owner supplied? the professional ones use 1-1/2in pipe to hang, so you can get it to the exact length you need.

Are the TV people providing hardware to hang from a "ceiling"?
or is that on you too?

No specific experience for TV's but I still have the suggestion to separate your thinking about what's done above the ceiling grid (anything you need for strut, rod, etc to the roof structure) and what is attached to that below the ceiling grid and will be seen (whether it's something fancy or just a length of 1x4). Follow?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Brit, I'd consider the liability you may have dropped in your lap if you McGuyver your own extension outside of the hanger's manufacturer's instructions. Maybe a different mount or mounting method should be used.

macmikeman

Bolt the same size diameter floor flanges to the structural ceiling. Extend down to whatever level you need above the tiles with same size rigid conduit and a coupling. You can drill and thread in set screws if you are worried about backspin issues. I used to hang a lot of flight info displays using this same method and it works real good.

brittle

Thank you for your input so far. Yes, the mounting brackets are an 1 1/2" pipe. I?m doing everything on this job?installing TV?s, mounts and electrical. I?m aware no cords through the grid above the ceiling. Thinking of installing black receptacles in the grid tile upside down (facing the floor) next to the mount. I?ll support them with traditional ceiling box grid hangers. Keep the cord tied nicely and hidden behind the TV. If I design something outside the manufacturers kit it must be strong enough to hold my weight plus the TV or I won?t do it.
My latest thought is to hang lengths of Unistrut the full length of all 5 TV?s supported by 3/8? threaded rod every 4 feet to the roof structure. Cut the ceiling tile as needed to have Unistrut to TV bracket contact. My problem is I need a flat piece of metal to mount between the strut and bracket to provide a level, flat and large surface to mount the TV mounting hardware bracket to. This would also act a finish plate to cover the cut in the ceiling tiles.
That?s what I have so far but looking for those that have been there and dun-it.

brittle

Bolt the same size diameter floor flanges to the structural ceiling. Extend down to whatever level you need above the tiles with same size rigid conduit and a coupling. You can drill and thread in set screws if you are worried about backspin issues. I used to hang a lot of flight info displays using this same method and it works real good.

I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.