Painting Ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonburgFarmer

I have recently aqquired (at auction) several ladders and tools. I am sure I am not the first guy to buy a used ladder from another contractor.
QUESTION

How is the best way to remove previous owners name (paint) from the ladder to paint on my co. name???

Any ideas???

wireperson

hmm , long time ago someone told me that identifying or writing on ladders was an OSHA violation . . . . .anyone knows about this? . ..

daleuger

Two words:
lacquer thinner

Once worked for a guy that tried that. Basically it stripped off the clear coat from the ladder and you had it down to the bare fiberglass. A couple hours of lugging those ladders around and you felt like you'd been playing in a pile of insulation. :D

e57

i dont believe youre supposed to use any solvent on a fiberglas ladder.
I too was thinking the same - goof off is some harsh stuff - best to test in a non-structural part of the ladder if there is such a thing....

Anyway - Doubt anyone will go after you for theft - just re-mark them.... Why worry about what is under your mark....

iwire

Staff member
hmm , long time ago someone told me that identifying or writing on ladders was an OSHA violation . . . . .anyone knows about this? . ..

You can identify ladders, you just can not paint them.

1926.1053(a)(12)
Wood ladders shall not be coated with any opaque covering, except for identification or warning labels which may be placed on one face only of a side rail.

specgrade

220 grit sand paper and a palm sander worked for me. You don't have to get aggressive with it just let the sander do its job.

220/221

Was wondering if there was another way, so my ladders dont have 4 coats of 5 different colors of paint on them

Uhhhhh....use the same color?

A coat of spray paint is like 1/1000 of an inch thick.

Just paint over it. It's a ladder, not a Porsche.

Status
Not open for further replies.