Will a space heater trip an AFCI circuit breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Has anyone had the experience of having a space heater trip an AFCI circuit breaker?
I am faced with installing a new receptacle with a new AFCI circuit breaker specifically for a space heater.

Thanks for the great forum.
JB

I would not be concerned installing a space heater on an arc-fault breaker. The heater coils are purely resistive ckt and the small fan motor should not have any arc-king.

Buck Parrish

Has anyone had the experience of having a space heater trip an AFCI circuit breaker?
I am faced with installing a new receptacle with a new AFCI circuit breaker specifically for a space heater.

Thanks for the great forum.
JB

IMO Space heaters are exactly the type of cord and plug appliance that should be protected by an afci.
As many fires are caused by arcing some where in the circuit. Not the heater it self.

cadpoint

I got a few questions? Is this your original work?

Are you just now trimming out?

I'd want to assure that everything is right in panel, first.

Did you trace the circuit, to know all the receptacles on that circuit?

Did you check the switch boxes, if associated to the receptacles runs?

I'll bet if it's not your work there's a jack leg in use on the REC. Circuit, or the old nail/sheet rock screw now is seating between wires.

One cannot share a neutral (jack leg it, in or out) and it certainly can't be on a 12/3 circuit (period) ((You can use a 12-3 within the circuit run - just not at the panel)).

Please, share the wisdom, if you isolate the fix!

hurk27

Actually as was said, electric heating appliance such as this is one of the best reasons for the GFP part of an AFCI.
Gutter DE-icers, and even ice dam preventer's, have been required in the NEC for a long time to be on a GFP (30ma). 426.28

to add, I even put floor heating, on a GFCI, even when its not located in a bathroom or by a hot tub, because anytime the element goes to ground, it might not be enough to trip the breaker, and the watt density can increase to where it can get hot enough to cause a fire, many of the temperature controllers for under the floor heat now have the GFCI built in, so its covered, but I have had a space heater where the element went to ground and didn't trip the breaker but got way to hot to be safe, and a GFP, GFCI, or a AFCI will catch it every time and shut it down.

Many room airconditioners with electric heat now have AFCi's built right in the cord set.

Ravenvalor

Thanks for the great advice.

This would be a new installation. I think I do not have to worry about the AFCI on this one, thanks.

Does anyone believe that a commercial refrigerator or freezer would trip an AFCI? Another customer wants a commercial refrigerator / freezer in her house but not in the kitchen (in her side entrance foyer).

Status
Not open for further replies.