Panelboard Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking through the code book for where it says that a panel board can exceed 42 circuit. I want to gather information for a discussion at the office.

Thank you

Griffith Gale:roll:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
408.35 used to say that 42 was the limit, for lighting and appliance panelboards. That article was removed in the 2008 version. So the answer to your question is that there is no rule that says you can go over 42. Rather, the absence of the 42 breaker limit is what makes it OK to go over 42.

Welcome to the forum.

drbond24

I have been looking through the code book for where it says that a panel board can exceed 42 circuit. I want to gather information for a discussion at the office.

Thank you

Griffith Gale:roll:

The NEC doesn't tell you what you can do, it tells you what you can't do. If there isn't someplace that says you can't have more than 42 circuits, then you can. :)

As they've already said, the 42 circuit limit was removed in 2008.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
If you go above 42, is there a limit as far as
how much you have to allow for each CB, with regards
to the rating of the panel ?

gndrod

Double talk

Double talk

There is a limit to the maximum number of overcurrent devices stipulated by 408.54 for a panelboard listed and rated for the maximum device installation quantity that the panel was designed for without the mention of spaces. This indirectly reverts to Art. 220 Calculation loading parameters as mentioned above. rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.