transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi we wired a new house with a 200 amp transfer switch for a potable generator,the inspector said that i need to transfer the grounded conducter also. what code does this fall under

raider1

Staff member
Is the portable generator listed for use as an optional standby generator for a building?

The grounded conductor would be switched if the generator is to be installed as a separately derived system.

Take a look at 250.34 and 250.35.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In this case, I think I would ask him what Code section requires that.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
No, and that can cause a lot of problems. Some have them, some don't. Some are easily removed or added, others not. You really need to pick the transfer switch and the generator together (or always buy a transfer switch that transfers the neutral, but those cost more and are less common for residential use).

raider1

Staff member
Do all portable generators come with the bonding jumper integral or can they be removed?

That is why I asked if this generator was listed as suitable for use as optional standby power for a building.

If the bonding jumper is not capable of being removed then you would need to install this as a separately derived system and have the transfer switch switch the grounded conductor.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.