Service Enterance Ground Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, but if it's metal you must bond both ends of the conduit. I usually use PVC.

Roger

raider1

Staff member
Can't the inside ground to the water pipe be used for the cable, phone, etc?

Depends on what code cycle you are under.

In the 2008 NEC you must provide an intersystem bonding means that has at least 3 terminals.

Here is what the 2008 NEC says:

250.94 Bonding for Other Systems.
An intersystem bonding termination for connecting intersystem bonding and grounding conductors required for other systems shall be provided external to enclosures at the service equipment and at the disconnecting means for any additional buildings or structures. The intersystem bonding termination shall be accessible for connection and inspection. The intersystem bonding termination shall have the capacity for connection of not less than three intersystem bonding conductors. The intersystem bonding termination device shall not interfere with opening a service or metering equipment enclosure. The intersystem bonding termination shall be one of the following:
(1) A set of terminals securely mounted to the meter enclosure and electrically connected to the meter enclosure. The terminals shall be listed as grounding and bonding equipment.
(2) A bonding bar near the service equipment enclosure, meter enclosure, or raceway for service conductors. The bonding bar shall be connected with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor to an equipment grounding conductor(s) in the service equipment enclosure, meter enclosure, or exposed nonflexible metallic raceway.
(3) A bonding bar near the grounding electrode conductor. The bonding bar shall be connected to the grounding electrode conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor.

Chris

renosteinke

Heck, I've always been required to place the GEC in pipe; here's one example, showing the clamp you use:

Rodattachment.jpg

(For the detail-oriented, that's a 3/4" x 10 ft, rod, so the clamp does grab it securely as shown. The top of the rod is undamaged because the rod is bent, laid in a 30" trench, and bedded in concrete. So much rod is visible because the trench has not been filled as yet.)

lakee911

Looks nice, M.D. I'll have to keep that in mind for future use.

It looks like it is required whether or not it needs to be used.

Suppose that my service disconnect and meter were in another building (and I am in this building with a subpanel), I would have to attach my intersystem bonding termination device to the GEC (using a split bolt and short piece of #6 wire) that goes to the ground rod(s), the GEC (using a split bolt and short piece of #6 wire) to the main water pipe or mount it to the side of the subpanel, is that correct?

Thanks,
Jason

M. D.

...........(For the detail-oriented, that's a 3/4" x 10 ft, rod, so the clamp does grab it securely as shown. The top of the rod is undamaged because the rod is bent, laid in a 30" trench, and bedded in concrete. So much rod is visible because the trench has not been filled as yet.)

don't ground rods have to be driven???

M. D.

Well, he never mentioned it could not be driven and if the trench is 30" deep and there is 8' in the trench and 2' is 24 inches ,..the clamp fitting and emt connector are going to need to be below grade ....are they listed?? and one more question ,...the ground rod is encased in concrete?

lakee911

Suppose that my service disconnect and meter were in another building (and I am in this building with a subpanel), I would have to attach my intersystem bonding termination device to the GEC (using a split bolt and short piece of #6 wire) that goes to the ground rod(s), the GEC (using a split bolt and short piece of #6 wire) to the main water pipe or mount it to the side of the subpanel, is that correct?

anyone? :)

M. D.

there you go :)

250.94 Bonding for Other Systems.
An intersystem bonding termination for connecting intersystem bonding and grounding conductors required for other systems shall be provided external to enclosures at the service equipment and at the disconnecting means for any additional buildings or structures.........

renosteinke

don't ground rods have to be driven???

I don't see where that requirement comes from. "Driving" a ground rod is just one form of grounding electrode allowed. Burying a rod or pipe in a trench is another permitted type. That's what I did here.

I mentioned the trench had not been filled in; on completion the clamp is just above the dirt.

I did pour concrete around the horizontal portion of the rod, though ther is no code requirement to do so for a rod or pipe electrode.

I used a ground rod for my convenience. I could have just used nearly any scrap of steel, even an angle irom, for the purpose. The electrode need not be listed.

Whether or not there is rock is irrelevant to a rod or pipe electrods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.