Can any PE sign off/stamp on any drawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wklose99

We were having a discussion at work regarding the legality of a PE signing off on any type of drawing. For example, can a PE who completed the electrical engineering certification for a PE legally sign off on a mechanical or civil engineering drawing? I understand ethically this is wrong and not allowed according to the engineering code of ethics, however we were discussing the issue from a purely legal standpoint. We were looking at actual PE certifications and they do not indicate what type of engineering they are certified for so we were wondering how laws cover such issues. Googling the subject brought nothing up so we were wondering if anyone here could shed some light on it?

Thanks, -Will

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am registered in several states, not one of them requires me to identify my area of expertise. However, all of them have ethics codes that would prevent me from 'taking ownership" of engineering in areas in which I am not qualified.

tyha

it depends partly on what state you are living in. Engineers are licensed and regulated at the state level. That being said the short answer is no. there are 3 "Types" of engineers. Electrical, Mechanical and Civil. All trades items and work fall into one of the 3 catagories and im not sure if its illegal but its not ethical.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Don't jump too quickly onto the ethics issue. It's not as simple as you seem to think.

I am registered in only WA now, but I have held registrations in ten other states. Each state has its own rules. Some specifically identified my discipline as being "electrical" on the license itself. Most did not. The common theme is that it was illegal to seal a document that was outside your own area of expertise.

That means that I could, quite legally, seal a mechanical design drawing, IF I supervised the design efforts, AND IF I believed that its technical content fell within my own background knowledge and experience. I do not need a university degree in Mechanical Engineering (to go with my two in Electrical Engineering), in order to seal a mechanical document. Not even the Code of Ethics published by the National Society of Professional Engineers would call it unethical for me to seal a mechanical drawing, based solely on my degrees being in EE, and not in ME.

That said, I believe that I do not have enough knowledge and experience in mechanical systems, so I would not choose to supervise a mechanical design. It is the fact that I consider mechanical design to be outside my area of expertise, and not the absence of an ME degree, that would make it both illegal and unethical for me to seal a mechanical design.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
As Charlie said it's not cut and dry. Here in CA a Civil can sign anything. An EC can draw and sign anything as long as he's doing the job also. In CA (don't know about other states) it's covered in the Business and Professions Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.