Type RW conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBowden

Does anyone have a codebook old enough to list Type RW copper conductors?
I'm getting ready to replace a 400 Amp service on an apartment building (8 units) that was originally fed underground with parallel 4/0 RW copper. The inspector says as long as they're rated for the load and not damaged I don't have to replace them. They are not damaged at all. The reason I'm replacing the service is because the existing one is rusted out.

benaround

Dave,

The lowest rating for 4/0 is 195a , I don't know what good an old code book would do ?

So, 195x2=390a for a parallel run. What is your 'load calc' for the building ?

DaveBowden

The inspector asked if I knew what the service conductors were rated for and I couldn't find them listed in my code book.
As long as the existing 4/0 conductors are rated for more than 175 amps each, I think I should be able to protect them with 400 amp fuses since they are less than 801 amp and there are no standard size fuses between 350 and 400 amps.

elohr46

The inspector asked if I knew what the service conductors were rated for and I couldn't find them listed in my code book.
As long as the existing 4/0 conductors are rated for more than 175 amps each, I think I should be able to protect them with 400 amp fuses since they are less than 801 amp and there are no standard size fuses between 350 and 400 amps.

Dave, don't laugh but I have a 1897 code book that I keep close by just for when an Inspector asks questions like that, the look on their faces is priceless. BTW, it says 210 amps for "rubber covered conductors".

Status
Not open for further replies.