Boiler Room disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe an EPO would be necessary for the standard boiler room.
I can tell you that depending on the source of fuel and the local municipality, there are different requirements. It is not always up to the NEC, check out the fuel code as well.

Mr. Bill

This started showing up about a year ago here. It's in the plumbing code I'm told. The exit for the boiler room needs to have an E-stop button to kill power to the boilers.

techelec

I do not believe an EPO would be necessary for the standard boiler room.
I can tell you that depending on the source of fuel and the local municipality, there are different requirements. It is not always up to the NEC, check out the fuel code as well.
Thank-you so much for your response, and I'm sorry if I implied the answer would come from the NEC.

Mr. Bill

It's from something called the ASME Code CSD-1. I've been looking for a free, full online copy but have only found this snipet.

G. Shutdown Switch Requirements: CSD 1, CE-100
1.) A shutdown switch capable of being locked open shall be installed in an accessible location on or near the boiler. This switch shall disconnect the boiler from all sources of power to the burner controls.
2.) A manually operated remote shutdown switch or circuit breaker, clearly marked, shall be located just outside each boiler room door. In the case of outside doors or public areas the switch may be located just inside the boiler room door. The installing contractor shall show location of remote shutdown switch(s) on sketches accompanying the installation permit application.

I think this Code is directed towards the boiler installer but we get dragged into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.