New Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian
I took a Fluke 4 hour meter course recently. The 2 representatives from Fluke were outstanding and the course was very much worth the price and time.

After the course, I spoke with them for awhile. They mentioned that the technology for meters is just about maxed out, and the only real changes we will see in meters for a few years is going to be "bells and whistles" types of changes, such as in the video you posted.

I see myself taking the meter base home at the end of the day and leaving the remote portion somewhere on the job...like leaving pliers in a drop ceiling. :D

brian john

Depends what kind of work you do. In maintenance work because of safety rules, you may not be able to route test leads to a safe distance. Wireless can make this possible. Now, if they could make only that meter log too?

For 39 years I have been able to SAFELY route my test leads, like Pierre said this is more decorative icing on an already decent cake.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Depends what kind of work you do. In maintainence work because of safety rules, you may not be able to route testleads to a safe distance. Wireless can make this possible. Now, if they could make only that meter log too?

I agree it depends upon the type of work you do. Not a must have for me but I would love to have one.
Suppose you want to measure the voltage at the panel breaker while you apply a transient load at the end of a branch circuit? Take the top half with you.

There can also be a concern about extending leads in some environments/measurements where the additional lead length can affect the accuracy of the measurement due to electrical interference.

I think it has great application if you have extra cash to spend on test equipment, but not necessarily for everyone.

wptski

For 39 years I have been able to SAFELY route my test leads, like Pierre said this is more decorative icing on an already decent cake.
I doubt that Fluke would design a new DMM without a market for it and whatever you've done for the last 39 years isn't that market.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
The data sheet lists 30ft as the max separation distance. This may be a little limiting but still decent.

Last week I was monitoring the battery charging current on a fire system on the manufacturing floor. I would periodically go out and check on its progress so that I would have an idea of when the charger had changed states.
This meter would have been great for that purpose as I could have monitored it directly from my desk.
Of course a data logger would have been even better but I do not have one of those either :(

Article 90.1

I think this meter is a bad idea. When I'm probing around energized circuits, I want my eyes to be focused on where my hands are more than on a remote screen. Of course, as with any testing procedure, prudence is paramount.

SG-1

I know one maintance man that wished he had this meter 20 years ago. His partner was handling the probes & he was holding the meter in his hand reading the values ( not a FLUKE ) when it shorted out inside causing a arc flash. Scared the man with the probes for life, and burned his hand. It also wielded 40 fuses into their holders.

I could see where this feature would be useful in certain other circumstances when working alone. Say you were checking for NEV by turning off each branch circuit one at a time, each time you have to go back outside to measure.

I have been aware of this meter for several months now. Am I going to run out and buy one ? No, but when I replace my meter...who knows. Of course by the time I replace my meter - all meters will probably be like this.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Just questioning the need or feasibility of the meter.

Before I posted this did you know the meter existed?

i played a key part in the development of the remote meter face DMM
concept when i dropped my first fluke off a scissor lift 30' to the floor.

accuracy was +- 100% of the least significant digit, that being the
digit that broke off the display and went under the palletizer.

wptski

I think this meter is a bad idea. When I'm probing around energized circuits, I want my eyes to be focused on where my hands are more than on a remote screen. Of course, as with any testing procedure, prudence is paramount.
I think that your missing the point here. You connect the meter, detach the head and view it from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.