Emt through a rain gutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Are there any violations to stubbing a piece of emt up through a rain gutter ?

Example: Block building with 3r panel on outside wall,guttering all around perimeter of a flat roof.Emt stubbed up from the 3r panel through the bottom of the gutter with Lb on top to get to AC Unit located on roof.Conduit run was not offset around the gutter.

raider1

Staff member
There is no NEC violation for running EMT through a rain gutter.

How did they seal the bottom of the rain gutter where the EMT penetrated it?

Chris

jap

Occupation
Electrician
with clear silicone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I keep thinking of the water and leaves that will build up around it and deteriorate it over time.

Power Tech

I see bad craftsmanship almost everyday. Sounds like an AC man did it.

I would look in the panel, the same guy that ran the conduit connected the wire.

Main question is how the owner feels about it.

bobsherwood

I asked the same question about a month ago. Contractor wanted to hide conduit on a brand new building. One good question came up.... how do you support the EMT? Can't! I did not allow the contractor to do it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The conduit is not run in the gutter horizontally,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is merely stubbed up through it vertically.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
That emt is going to rust like hell right where it passes through the gutter....especially when debris piles up against it and never lets the emt dry out.

I'd almost be tempted to call the person on workmanship....

daleuger

So the gutter is horizontal and the EMT vertical? Do you have a pic? Sounds like an interesting obstacle any way you. Some sort of modified shepherd's hook comes to mind immediately. :grin:

benaround

Are there any violations to stubbing a piece of emt up through a rain gutter ?

Example: Block building with 3r panel on outside wall,guttering all around perimeter of a flat roof.Emt stubbed up from the 3r panel through the bottom of the gutter with Lb on top to get to AC Unit located on roof.Conduit run was not offset around the gutter.

You 'might' find a violation in 300.6, if anywhere.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
That emt is going to rust like hell right where it passes through the gutter....especially when debris piles up against it and never lets the emt dry out.

I'd almost be tempted to call the person on workmanship....

Good thing they didnt use PVC for the portion that penetrates the gutter on both ends though,,,, if they had of, it would have floated the emt that is run on the roof strapped to the wooden block and it would not have been bonded to any ground point.Any fault in the conduit would have left the Conduit enegized with no ground fault return path.

I failed to mention in my first post that the emt rises vertically on the north end of the building penetrates the gutter on the north end, hits an lb and travels 100' south strapped to wooden blocks to another lb, penetrated the gutter on the south end and terminates on a disconnect for an ac unit on the south end of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.