250.104 Red Tag!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the electrical inspector may be confused here! :-?

"Metal fuel lines are not bonded to electrical system 250.104"

I cannot find anything that supports this violation notice. I have searched NFPA, NEMA, UL, and other industry sources for this requirement.

If you know of any rules anywhere, or of any product instructions for power generators that require this to be done please post that information here.

Last edited:
Generator Fuel Lines

Generator Fuel Lines

By reference to the 2008 NEC in Article 100; I cannot agree that a generator falls within the definition of a building. I also reviewed Article 445 for this type of equipment and found nothing there either that would support an interpretation that identifies a generator as a building.

I searched the NEC for the term "fuel" and found no "hits" that could be used to support the inspector's red tag.

cpal

The term structure is pretty broad in what it covers. Augie may have a point. Whats the difference between a Gas or a Fule line???

Is that a picture of a Gen set with a weather cover??

if so it might be a peice of equipment.

(B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded

If your in MASS you can always appeal!! or request an interpertaion.

Generator Fuel Lines

Generator Fuel Lines

The term structure is pretty broad in what it covers. Augie may have a point. Whats the difference between a Gas or a Fule line???

Is that a picture of a Gen set with a weather cover??

if so it might be a peice of equipment.

(B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded

If your in MASS you can always appeal!! or request an interpertaion.

I disagree because of the definition of a: "Structure. That which is built or constructed."

The fuel lines carry "Volatile Flammable Liquid" which is not gas.

I am in Baghdad, Iraq (for a few more days) so I would have no reason to ask for an appeal in Massachusetts.

The generator is installed in a container.

hurk27

I would say if the electric circuit that might energize the fuel line is bonded to the generator and the fuel lines are also connected to the generator, It's bonded!

I think 250.104(B) clearlly states this:

250.104(B)The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122 using the rating of the circuit that may energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

so even if the grounded conductor is bonded elswhere, the EGC that bonds the generator is still the bonding for the fuel line Joe

I would say if the electric circuit that might energize the fuel line is bonded to the generator and the fuel lines are also connected to the generator, It's bonded!

I think 250.104(B) clearlly states this:

so even if the grounded conductor is bonded elswhere, the EGC that bonds the generator is still the bonding for the fuel line Joe

I am in strong agreement with this as well

Generator Fuel Lines

Generator Fuel Lines

Thank you Gentlemen:

OK, now we are on track and agree that a separate bonding jumper is not required for bonding the fuel lines to the EGC of the system. :)

cpal

I disagree because of the definition of a: "Structure. That which is built or constructed.".

Fine. thats why I asked what type of encolsure was over the genset.

The fuel lines carry "Volatile Flammable Liquid" which is not gas. .

What's being transfered by the metal piping system is irrelivant read 250.104.

I am in Baghdad, Iraq (for a few more days) so I would have no reason to ask for an appeal in Massachusetts. .

Thanks for your service and be careful. But your Bio indicates you are from Boston. So it's fair to believe you are in the area. Next time try indicating where your are doing the install.

"Fair winds and following seas"

Status
Not open for further replies.