rotaty converter- differen application..

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakkaz

Hello All,
New to this forum and new to what I what I need.
I own & operate 'Consumer & Industrial' electronics service shop, with a goal to reverse the name to 'Industrial & Consumer' and that goal appears to be closer now.
More and more VFDs end up on my bench that is 240v single-phase, but they call for anything from 120 to 480V, there is a need to service DC p.supplies that call for higher 1 or 3-phase inputs as well.
Done some studies and trolled different sources and it appears to me that I need rotary converter, I understand that a 100% balanced output is impossible to achieve but I think for my applications (with some exceptions) i should suffice.
I though about a following set up:
240V; step-up trafo; 480V ; rotary converter 3 X 480v; variable 3-phase autotransformer; load

But I just found in Volpac catalog 3-phase Wye 240V input 0-560V Output that would eliminate need for step-up trafo.

My understanding is that if a piece of three-phase equipment (VFD, Power Supply etc.) operates only on phase-to-phase voltages, it does not matter whether the power is configured as wye or as delta the load does not know or care where ground/neutral is in reference to any of the phases. It only ?sees? the relationship between the phases. So if you reference the three voltages of wye power and ?erase? the connection to ground/neutral, you have a triangle, the same as in delta configured power.
But I have a problem what to do with that 'neutral' from autotransformer, should I ground it to the converter, protective ground on the load, both?

In some Fanuc or Siemens controls though regenerative power from the spindle motor is put back onto the line utilizing a phase-to-neutral connection on all three legs. So in this case I guess I would use that neutral connecting it to common/neutral point on autotransformer? , another gain cause I wouldn't have to use delta to wye transformer..
But it sort of looks to good.
I would appreciate you insight here, although electrical Eng. by education I never worked in that field and my recollection of what I learned many decades ago is pretty foggy.
Thanks,
Kaz

hurk27

Hello All,

But I just found in Volpac catalog 3-phase Wye 240V input 0-560V Output that would eliminate need for step-up trafo.
Are you sure about this "Y" 240 volt input?
a Y is normally 208/120, although I have heard of a 240/139 Y but that make the XO usless for 120 volt loads. 240/1.732

But I have a problem what to do with that 'neutral' from autotransformer, should I ground it to the converter, protective ground on the load, both?
Kaz

Input Y's are rarely ever grounded at the XO just the chassie of the equipment, but an isolated output would have to always be grounded by a 250 method, auto transformers would depend upon the configuration, and impedance of the output if low enough impedance reference to input.

zakkaz

thanks for responding.
Are you sure about this "Y" 240 volt input?
a Y is normally 208/120, although I have heard of a 240/139 Y but that make the XO usless for 120 volt loads. 240/1.732
It's 240V 1-phase to rotary converter and from there to Y variable autotransformer output 0-560V.
I guess a sketch would help here, have to figure out how to post..

Status
Not open for further replies.