Usace safety and health requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
EM-385-1

11.B.06 Metal jewelry (i.e., wristbands, watch chains, rings, bracelets, necklaces, body jewelry, piercings, etc) shall not be worn when working on or near electrical equipment.

SAFETY AND HEALTH REQUIREMENTS

1. Purpose. This manual prescribes the safety and health requirements for all Corps of Engineers activities and operations.

2. Applicability. This manual applies to Headquarters, US Army Corps of Engineers (HQUSACE) elements, major subordinate commands, districts, centers, laboratories, and field operating activities (FOA), as well as USACE contracts and those administered on behalf of USACE. Applicability extends to occupational exposure for missions under the command of the Chief of Engineers, whether accomplished by military, civilian, or contractor personnel.

3. References.

a. 29 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 1910
b. 29 CFR 1926
c. 29 CFR 1960
d. Executive Order (EO) 12196
e. Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) Clause 52.236-13

This manual supersedes EM 385-1-1, 3 November 2003

This goes beyond 70E requirements:

NFPA 70E; 130.6 Other Precautions for Personnel Activities.

(D) Conductive Articles Being Worn. Conductive articles of jewelry and clothing (such as watchbands, bracelets, rings, key chains, necklaces, metalized aprons, cloth with conductive thread, metal headgear, or metal frame glasses) shall not be worn where they present an electrical contact hazard with exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts.

2009 70E Handbook Commentary:

Workers must be aware if any of their jewelry or clothing could present an electrical hazard. Articles of jewelry that are conductive must be removed or effectively insulated at all times if a worker might contact an exposed energized electrical conductor or circuit part. Clothing that has metal or conductive threads or fibers must not be worn if contact with an exposed energized electrical conductor or circuit part is possible. Metalized aprons or face shields must not be worn within the Limited Approach Boundary. Eyeglasses containing exposed conductive components must be restrained and covered with appropriate PPE so that it is impossible for them to fall into or touch an exposed energized conductor or circuit part. Conductive body piercing jewelry must be removed before entering the Limited Approach Boundary.

Thanks!

Thanks!

The exact links are:

Which is an overview of EM 385-1-1.
http://www.usace.army.mil/CESO/Pages/EM385-1-1.aspx
(note there is a power point on this site)

Here is the exact link (1045 pages) to EM 385-1-1
http://www.usace.army.mil/CESO/Documents/EM385-1-1FINAL.pdf

Good Stuff Joe, Thanks - (hope your don't mind the direct links) :grin:

Not at all! I appreciate your positive reply here and your links make it even easier for me to make everyone aware of these rules here in the Theater, especially when it is related to body jewelry!

I am also interested in finding out more about qualification for a "Medium Voltage Electrician" because I believe that a journeyman or master electrician with no true high voltage experience should not apply for a job.

I am researching this subject. Any suggestions or sample job descriptions will be appreciated. :)

zog

I am also interested in finding out more about qualification for a "Medium Voltage Electrician" because I believe that a journeyman or master electrician with no true high voltage experience should not apply for a job.

I am researching this subject. Any suggestions or sample job descriptions will be appreciated. :)

I agree 100% with your thinking here Joe but there is no such qualification. There are certified testing techs (NICET and NETA) that are certified for testing MV power systems and there are certified (NCSCB) MV cable splicers. Some specs require these certifications for certian jobs.

Now in the past I have hired master electricians to work for me at previous companies but they were starting from square 1, not much more than a "MV aprentice" they didn't like it at first but soon realizied it was very different to what they were used to working on.

I agree 100% with your thinking here Joe but there is no such qualification. There are certified testing techs (NICET and NETA) that are certified for testing MV power systems and there are certified (NCSCB) MV cable splicers. Some specs require these certifications for certian jobs.

Now in the past I have hired master electricians to work for me at previous companies but they were starting from square 1, not much more than a "MV aprentice" they didn't like it at first but soon realizied it was very different to what they were used to working on.

Zog:

Thank you, this information is very helpful and it includes some good suggestions!

ultramegabob

I dont wear jewelry, and I use the clock on my cell phone instead of a watch. I have seen some bad accidents in many differnt trades that involved rings, I dont think I need to get too descriptive to get the point across.

pfalcon

This is where the military did it right.

70E makes two mistakes:
1) Coddling by saying metal is okay if you can shield it.
2) Trying to exhaustive list different conditions and exceptions.

Why not just: No conductive clothing or jewelry shall be permitted in the work area while servicing electrical equipment.

Oh yeah, the military DID say that.

zog

This is where the military did it right.

70E makes two mistakes:
1) Coddling by saying metal is okay if you can shield it.
2) Trying to exhaustive list different conditions and exceptions.

Why not just: No conductive clothing or jewelry shall be permitted in the work area while servicing electrical equipment.

Oh yeah, the military DID say that.

Any company can and should have that policy in place. You can always be more restrictive than OSHA or 70E in your local ESWP's.

Body Jewelry

Body Jewelry

I would like to see this discussion continue toward an agreement. If an installer was working for you came into work with body jewlery that was exposed or concealed what would you do?

I would ask that person to be sure that it was removed before working on any of my jobs.

iwire

Staff member
I would like to see this discussion continue toward an agreement.

Thats not going to happen here.:grin:

If an installer was working for you came into work with body jewelry that was exposed or concealed what would you do?

I would ask that person to be sure that it was removed before working on any of my jobs.

It seems to me if the jewelery is concealed, as many body piercings are you would be asking for more than 70E requires.

NFPA 70E; 130.6 Other Precautions for Personnel Activities.

(D) Conductive Articles Being Worn. Conductive articles of jewelry and clothing (such as watchbands, bracelets, rings, key chains, necklaces, metalized aprons, cloth with conductive thread, metal headgear, or metal frame glasses) shall not be worn where they present an electrical contact hazard with exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts.

If someone is wearing their PPE and / or clothes how would 'concealed' (your word) jewelry present a contact hazard?

11.B.06 Metal jewelry (i.e., wristbands, watch chains, rings, bracelets, necklaces, body jewelry, piercings, etc) shall not be worn when working on or near electrical equipment.

This rule is required to be followed by contractors when working on any camp in IRAQ. NFPA70E is with a similar rule as we already know of but the rule above applies here, that's my point iwire.

iwire

Staff member

This rule is required to be followed by contractors when working on any camp in IRAQ. NFPA70E is with a similar rule as we already know of but the rule above applies here, that's my point iwire.

OK Joe, let us know how checking the peoples skivvies for piercings works out for you.:grin:

Body Jewelry

Body Jewelry

OK Joe, let us know how checking the peoples skivvies for piercings works out for you.:grin:

Bob:

We are not going to go to that much detail :D and if someone gets hurt by making contact with energized parts or conductors (230/415 volts here); and goes to the hospital that is when the story will unfold because they will probably be denied any claims and for sure will be sent home.

Why would any professional and qualified person who is a journeyman or master electrician even think of questionsing a corporate requirement or rules that are developed by their company for their safety?

If you had your feet on the ground here; seeing the different situations around the camps and reading about the electrical shocks and accidents that were caused by stupid mistakes, or because of the same old story: "I can work hot" you would understand my concern.

Again, so far most people agree and would not allow any body jewelry to be used at all anytime. A proposal for 70E is in order for he next edition. :)

iwire

Staff member
It is an Army spec, they can and will check anything they want. :)

I understand and I agree they can, but Joe's question here ...

I would like to see this discussion continue toward an agreement. If an installer was working for you came into work with body jewelry that was exposed or concealed what would you do?

Appears to be aimed at electrical contractors, few of our members are running military crews.

If you had your feet on the ground here; seeing the different situations around the camps and reading about the electrical shocks and accidents that were caused by stupid mistakes, or because of the same old story: "I can work hot" you would understand my concern.

Of course, whenever anyone disagrees with you it turns to you saying that they just don't understand,:roll:

Well I do understand what metal jewelry contacting live parts can do.

What I do not understand is how concealed jewelry is going to come into contact with live parts.

Why would any professional and qualified person who is a journeyman or master electrician even think of questioning a corporate requirement or rules that are developed by their company for their safety?

Why would anyone post a question on an internet forum if they did not want to be questioned on their view?

pfalcon

Don't ask; Don't tell; Find someone you don't want an answer from to check. :grin:

It is an Army spec, they can and will check anything they want. :)

Just remind them that piercings can create a special arc hazard. If it becomes involved you get more severe burns at the contact point. Casually muse that having your nipple removed by an arc incident probably isn't very pleasant. :grin:

Body Jewelry

Body Jewelry

PFalcon:

Your statement below covers it all! I appreciate your interest:

"Just remind them that piercings can create a special arc hazard. If it becomes involved you get more severe burns at the contact point. Casually muse that having your nipple removed by an arc incident probably isn't very pleasant."

Also, my policy change will be put in place very soon, and again this only has to do with the USG controlled facilities. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.