Emergency equipment in separate room than normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadydriver

I have been encountering requirements for emergency electrical equipment to be kept in separate rooms from the normal electrical distribution. The city of Chicago requires it, many states require it also. Where in the NEC does it state that, or is it elsewhere in NFPA. Does someone know?

iwire

Staff member
I have been encountering requirements for emergency electrical equipment to be kept in separate rooms from the normal electrical distribution. The city of Chicago requires it, many states require it also. Where in the NEC does it state that, or is it elsewhere in NFPA. Does someone know?

The NEC does not require that, as you point out some areas do.

Here in MA it needs to be in a separate 2 hr rated room.

That kind of information is typically a building code issue. The local jurisdictions have plenty to say about certain locations.
I have not looked in NFPA 99, but the NEC and NFPA are tied together somewhat. Maybe I will look later.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is an NFPA 110 requirement for Level 1 EPS installations and it does not necessarily mean all equipment has to be in a different room than the Normal Power equipment.

Roger

hockeyoligist2

I don't know the answer, I'm just curious. What type of emergency electrical equipment? I may run in to this someday.
Sorry Roger, I didn't see "Level 1 EPS installations" in your post.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is one of those situations in which you can't possible be confused enough yet, so you need to read NFPA 110 to deepen you level of confusion. :grin: First you have to figure out this "Level 1, Level 2" stuff. Then you have to figuure out the EPS and EPSS stuff. Then you have to figure out what can, and what cannot, be in the same room. :roll:

NFPA 110, article 7.2.2, says that EPSS cannot be in the same room as normal electrical service (my emphasis) equipment is installed. The EPSS starts at the generator and ends at the load terminals of the transfer switch(es).

In a recent project, I put the generator on the floor above the main electrical room. The transfer switches (one emergency, one optional standby) were within the same room as the main service switchboard, but were separated from the normal equipment by having a set of walls and one door, with a 1-hour fire rating, that isolated the EPSS stuff from the rest of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.