Bare #6 in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

My patiences is running short trying to find the answer. If I install a bare # 6 in a raceway do I need to bond it to the pipe. I am going from a PV combiner box in an attic to the outside for a dc disconect and then down to the ground rod. 250-64E makes me think I need to keep this one solid piece of pipe? Any references for putting a bare grounding conductors in a pipe would be great. Thanks.

nhfire77

Yes.
I do not have a book in front of me to give you the section, but I am 100% certain, in a metal raceway, the GEC must be bonded at bond ends.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From 250.64(E)
(E) Enclosures for Grounding Electrode Conductors. Ferrous metal enclosures for grounding electrode conductors shall be electrically continuous from the point of attachment to cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode and shall be securely fastened to the ground clamp or fitting. Nonferrous metal enclosures shall not be required to be electrically continuous. Ferrous metal enclosures that are not physically continuous from cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode shall be made electrically continuous by bonding each end of the raceway or enclosure to the grounding electrode conductor. Bonding shall apply at each end and to all intervening ferrous raceways, boxes, and enclosures between the cabinets or equipment and the grounding electrode. The bonding jumper for a grounding electrode conductor raceway or cable armor shall be the same size as, or larger than, the enclosed grounding electrode conductor. Where a raceway is used as protection for a grounding electrode conductor, the installation shall comply with the requirements of the appropriate raceway article.

Cavie

On vacation with no code book but I seems to remember somewhere in 300 maybe, that all conductors muste be insulated.

macmikeman

On vacation with no code book but I seems to remember somewhere in 300 maybe, that all conductors muste be insulated.

Hope you are having a nice vacation. When you get back take a look at 250.62 where the allowance for uninsulated wire for gec is located. As for equipment ground wires needing insulation, if they do, I had better get started with ripping out all that romex I ran in life...

220/221

If I install a bare # 6 in a raceway do I need to bond it to the pipe

If it's the GEC, then yes.....if the raceway in question is metal conduit We generally use PVC in this instance.

If the raceway in question is not conduit....

Status
Not open for further replies.