Code Yes or No...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I looked at a situation today, Customer called with a breaker problem, her husband could not turn off a kitchen circuit off while replacing a Hood fan with a Microwave.

I found that the original electrician(s) connected two different 15A circuits together, they happened to be on the same "phase".

So now the Microwave is on with the Kitchen and Foyer lighting and when all is on the circuit has a 17.4A draw.

A new circuit would be near impossible to run, so I was thinking about combining the DW & Disposer on 1 and use the other for the Microwave. The Microwave nameplate is 16.5kW, so a 15A should hold.

See photo below for routing of possible solution.

480sparky

Is there going to be tile installed? If so, can you cut a slot across the drywall above the countertop and run horizontally?

mcclary's electrical

I looked at a situation today, Customer called with a breaker problem, her husband could not turn off a kitchen circuit off while replacing a Hood fan with a Microwave.

I found that the original electrician(s) connected two different 15A circuits together, they happened to be on the same "phase".

So now the Microwave is on with the Kitchen and Foyer lighting and when all is on the circuit has a 17.4A draw.

A new circuit would be near impossible to run, so I was thinking about combining the DW & Disposer on 1 and use the other for the Microwave. The Microwave nameplate is 16.5kW, so a 15A should hold.

See photo below for routing of possible solution.

What do you mean near impossible? What is stopping you from bringing a new circuit up behind the stove, from there fish it behind microwave to cabinet above? or is the wall not fishable? like drywall on block?

Occupation
Inspector
What do you mean near impossible? What is stopping you from bringing a new circuit up behind the stove, from there fish it behind microwave to cabinet above? or is the wall not fishable? like drywall on block?

the house is on a slab, two story, panel in the garage, finished, on the opposite side of the house on outside wall.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
the house is on a slab, two story, panel in the garage, finished, on the opposite side of the house on outside wall.

Standard tools and material on my truck. Painting by others.

20minutemud.jpg

Occupation
Inspector
I thought going up from Microwave come out above cabinet across the top of cabinets then fish back down to switches and pick up circuit there. Just a little drywall compound at the exit & entry point, quick and less labor.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Run a new circuit best you can a 15 ampere won't work in the long run. ]
I bet all that was on the circuit before was a hood.
I see this all the time.
When the wire gets melted because the throw a 20 amp breaker in the panel then they call you.

iMuse97

I agree with SierraSparky and add this: time to tell them this is a pay me now or pay bigtime later, possibly. Don't go all dramatic, but point out that the available (or nearly available) circuit simply IS NOT designed for the loads they want to put on it.

A microwave of that size must have it's own circuit; nevermind what will hold. Give them what they really need, and sell it as a need. And check out Pierre's comment: NEC 210.23

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought going up from Microwave come out above cabinet across the top of cabinets then fish back down to switches and pick up circuit there. Just a little drywall compound at the exit & entry point, quick and less labor.
I've done it, and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Occupation
Inspector
I agree with SierraSparky and add this: time to tell them this is a pay me now or pay bigtime later, possibly. Don't go all dramatic, but point out that the available (or nearly available) circuit simply IS NOT designed for the loads they want to put on it.

A microwave of that size must have it's own circuit; nevermind what will hold. Give them what they really need, and sell it as a need. And check out Pierre's comment: NEC 210.23

So you are saying that the 15A circuit that was intended for the say Disposer would not work for the microwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.