Code Yes or No...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Take a look at 210.23(A)(2)

In my post #13 I was going to state 210.20(A) but then I realized that he wasn't combining the microwave with the disposal, but combining the disposal with the foyer lights, I think? not sure what he combining:confused:
In most cases the microwave can't be combined with anything, unless it draws less them 1 amp, like a gas range, but the disposal might be able to if it is a small one?

Occupation
Inspector
In my post #13 I was going to state 210.20(A) but then I realized that he wasn't combining the microwave with the disposal, but combining the disposal with the foyer lights, I think? not sure what he combining:confused:
In most cases the microwave can't be combined with anything, unless it draws less them 1 amp, like a gas range, but the disposal might be able to if it is a small one?

There is a circuit for the DW and a circuit for the Disposer. I am thinking of combining the DW & Disposer and then use the other circuit for the microwave only.

Jim W in Tampa

There is a circuit for the DW and a circuit for the Disposer. I am thinking of combining the DW & Disposer and then use the other circuit for the microwave only.

That is best way out. Asumming micro needs are within the specs of circuit you have available. and neither DW or Disp are over 50 %

hurk27

Most of our houses are wired this way, and have been for years, never had a problem on a 20 amp circuit, 15 amp circuit might be pushing it a little.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't know, but if Al ever wants to move to the mountains I will give him a job in a heart beat. :grin:
The mountains of NC? As in the the Smokies? I and an ex spent a 10-day vacation in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, on motorcycles, in one of the primitive campgrounds. Best trip ever!

When do you want me there? :grin:

Added: Looking at the map, it was near the northern end near I-40, off of rt 32.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The mountains of NC? As in the the Smokies? I and an ex spent a 10-day vacation in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, on motorcycles, in one of the primitive campgrounds. Best trip ever!

When do you want me there? :grin:

Added: Looking at the map, it was near the northern end near I-40, off of rt 32.

Larry, yes the NC Smokies and you'd have a job too if you wanted. :)

It sounds as though you were bordering Tenn. Next time you come you will need to do the Tail of the Dragon

Roger

tyha

Not a Resi Guy

Not a Resi Guy

I know I have only done maybe 4 houses my whole life and havent been in the field, anywhere, for a while but why cant you just open all the boxes on the 2 circuits and find out where they are tied together and disconnect them. Please take it easy on me for asking stupid questions because there is a great chance that I dont understand what is going on.

Occupation
Inspector
I know I have only done maybe 4 houses my whole life and havent been in the field, anywhere, for a while but why cant you just open all the boxes on the 2 circuits and find out where they are tied together and disconnect them. Please take it easy on me for asking stupid questions because there is a great chance that I dont understand what is going on.

IMO there are no stupid questions here. The original call was to find out why the power to the Microwave could not be turned off according to the panel schedule. I thought the panel was labeled wrong, not so. I did find the circuit for the Kitchen/Foyer lighting and the circuit for the Disposer were tied together in the switch box in the Kitchen making the circuit like a loop. The only way to turn off the circuit was to turn off two different breakers.

The Microwave is on the same circuit as the Kitchen/Foyer lighting and when the Microwave is turned on the draw on the circuit is 17+ on the 15A circuit.

I am proposing combining the DW & Disposer on one circuit and wiring the Microwave to the old Disposer circuit as shown in the photo.

I hope this helps.

220/221

I believe he corrected that problem but the issue in question is that the built in micro is on a lighting circuit, typical of an older vent hood to micro/vent conversion.

I would still avoid putting a DW along with a 1500 watt micro on the same circuit in this situation.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did find the circuit for the Kitchen/Foyer lighting and the circuit for the Disposer were tied together in the switch box in the Kitchen making the circuit like a loop. The only way to turn off the circuit was to turn off two different breakers.
It sounds like the over-the-sink light switch and the disposer switch were supposed to be separate circuits, and someone accidentally wired the two feeds together as if one was a feed in and the other was a feed out.

Occupation
Inspector
It sounds like the over-the-sink light switch and the disposer switch were supposed to be separate circuits, and someone accidentally wired the two feeds together as if one was a feed in and the other was a feed out.

DING DING DING We have a winner.:D

Next time you are in my neck of the woods dinner is on me. :D

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I just did the same thing you are going to do. The DW and disposal were on a multiwire branch circuit. Each with it's own feed. I put them both on one circuit and ran a feed from the other circuit over to the microwave via the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.