Double male end cord Test for HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a friend that was almost shocked recently by a 'double male end cord' that was made up. It was used to 'back' feed a receptacle where other cords were. He was there to fix some receptacles and had to unplug the equipment. Out of habit he used his voltage wand that kept picking up voltage, then he used his meter on the 'male' end and saw there was still voltage there. This did surprised him as this is obviously against code. He was thinking/assuming that male end just went to another piece of equipment like the other bunch up cords. He could not see where the other end went to.

He then traced out the other end of the cord and found where it was under another desk and was pluged into a receptacle where it was getting fed from. Unplugged that male end as well, and of course got rid of that 'hack' jumper double male cord. this was in an office cubicle.

Just a reminder to all of us about safety. Always to TEST to see if its HOT, even cords to 'alleged' equipment. Good thing to use 'volt wands' as a 'go or no go' on these things.

mcclary's electrical

Had a friend that was almost shocked recently by a 'double male end cord' that was made up. It was used to 'back' feed a receptacle where other cords were. He was there to fix some receptacles and had to unplug the equipment. Out of habit he used his voltage wand that kept picking up voltage, then he used his meter on the 'male' end and saw there was still voltage there. This did surprised him as this is obviously against code. He was thinking/assuming that male end just went to another piece of equipment like the other bunch up cords. He could not see where the other end went to.

He then traced out the other end of the cord and found where it was under another desk and was pluged into a receptacle where it was getting fed from. Unplugged that male end as well, and of course got rid of that 'hack' jumper double male cord. this was in an office cubicle.

Just a reminder to all of us about safety. Always to TEST to see if its HOT, even cords to 'alleged' equipment. Good thing to use 'volt wands' as a 'go or no go' on these things.

I saw a three phase 480 volt pin and sleeve made up that way before. I unlugged the cord. I knew what end the feed was coming from. There, in my hand, was 480 staring me in the face.

Here is one I found on a jobsite while making an inspection.

I asked the contractor to have his men fix this while I made the rest of the inspection. I went back after the walk thru to make sure it was completed. ;)

LiveCordEnd1.jpg

The source of power for the cord cap.:confused: It is not like I was the only one who could see it.
LiveCordEnd3.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's just unbelievable. I had an irate customer who insisted that I re-use the double-ended cord and receptacle "inlet" they brought from their last house. I refused to do so and explained why.

They reluctantly agreed to the 8-circuit panel and new female cord end I insisted on. They could have called someone else who might have done it, but didn't so I guess they really believed me.

Television in IRAQ

Television in IRAQ

This TV is being supplied by 230 volts, single phase (neutral and hot leg) see the voltage present at the point where the test was made.

Have you tried this in the USA? :-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Standard issue for the DIY homeowner. Found hanging on the wall right next to his 1500 watt generator :grin:

SEO

Standard issue for the DIY homeowner. Found hanging on the wall right next to his 1500 watt generator :grin:

Ever wonder how many people do this? It doesn't matter if it's 120V being backfed thru a receptacle or 240V. You get the same answer I'm carefull and I always shut off the main.

Status
Not open for further replies.