non - linear loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Cruiser, it is obvious you are asking us to do your home work, you will have to give us your answer and how you arrived at the answer before we can help you.

Roger

millerdtm

I'll take a stab at this one. Since I just started to study for my April Exam I might as well get used to getting involved with this forum.
The best I can expalin a Non-Linear load is a device the has some type of swithing involved ie a VFD or a Recitfier. Where as a linear load would be a squirrel cage motor. Sound good?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Miller, welcome to the forum, I hope you continue to post

When it is obvious that someone posts looking for a study question answer we would rather see them try to answer the questions first and then we can critique them and help them find the correct answer.

Roger

Last edited:

millerdtm

I will keep that in mind... I have alot to learn before I take the test in April so you should see alot of me in the comming months.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The best I can explain a Non-Linear load is a device the has some type of switching involved (i.e., a VFD or a Rectifier). Whereas a linear load would be a squirrel cage motor. Sound good?
Good, as far as it goes. I also prefer to see cruiser make a stab at it, before I offer a more complete answer. But let me just say for now that the loads you name are, indeed, non-linear and linear, respectively. But other types of loads are non-linear, and other types of loads are linear. The essence of the question is, "what does the word 'linear' actually tell us about the equipment?"

Status
Not open for further replies.