Box Fill question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

Is there any code reference that allows you to install the following?

12-2 NM into a 6.0 cubic inchpancake box because the fixture that will attach to the box has 8.0 cubic inches of space in the body.

I have had a discussion with an inspector, and am curious if this could be a compliant install. I would think it could not be legal because of the fill count would be 6.75 cubic inches into the box as well as the chance the fixture could be changed..

What say ye all?

c2500

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Take a look at 314.16(A). It allows for domed covers, extensions, etc that are marked with their volume.

c2500

I see that, but barring the fixture having a cubic inch rating, it would not be legal. Which then begs the question, what if the fixture is changed? Is the intent of 314.16 to make sure the boxes are the correct size?

I realize this is a "what if" type question.

c2500

Volta

12-2 NM into a 6.0 cubic inchpancake box because the fixture that will attach to the box has 8.0 cubic inches of space in the body.c2500

Will the pancake box project into the domed space, effectively allowing a total of just 8.0 inches?

Still works out to be ok for 3 x 2.25".

In this city a $75.00 permit and inspection is required to replace a light fixture. I'm sure that the inspector will catch the future violation when it happens!:roll:

c2500

Well my questions stems from the fact I know a job where one of the inspectors allowed 12-2 in a 6.0 pancake. I of course would not do this because of the way I read 314. However, I have an install I am doing right now that I could use the cheaper 6.0 pancake as opposed to the fan rated much more expensive 6.8 pancake. I normally have the other inspector, and I like to pass first time out.

c2500

$75 permit to install a new light....ouch.

Volta

Holy guacamole!

Bet you have all the big box store there, got to be the capital of the DYS world.

$75 permit to install a new light....ouch.

Yup, yup, yup.

And that's if they can get in and out in one 15-minute trip.

If it takes two trips (rough / finish), for dwelling units (1, 2, or 3 family): $200.00.

If it takes two trips, for commercial structures or multi family:

Ready? :roll:

$450.00! :D

http://development.columbus.gov/Asset/iu_files/BSD/PDF/Administrative_Forms/Complete_OSS_Fees_022508.pdf

It is a little tough to compete with the unlicensed Craigslist crowd. They do slightly cheaper work. :roll:

In defense of the Department of Development here in Columbus, they take no money from the tax stream AFAIK, they are self sufficient.

I would not mind some in-between pricing in addition though.

Status
Not open for further replies.