Suspended Exit Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Anyone here ever suspend an exit sign 10' or more? I have a situation where an exterior exit is completely surrounded by widow panes.

I would think a sign here wouldn't even be required because it is plainly obvious that it's an exit. Customer wants one anyway.

ericgold

I've never done it, but seen it done a few times, and every time its done differently. I've seen people use all thread, others wire rope, some chain. Some go MC into the sign, others pipe.

ivsenroute

Maybe you should just come out of the floor with an arched conduit run. It may be closer. LOL

Anyway. If it is the only exit door from the building then one is not required, otherwise yes, it is required. Not many newer buildings only have one door. What about emergency lighting? Is that already taken care of too?

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
There are two exits on opposite sides of the space. The front is easily accessible as far as conduit is concerned. The rear is the one surrounded on all sides by windows.

This place is a distribution warehouse for DVDs. Not open to the general public.

Last edited:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Perhaps go non-electric, eg. a 'glow in the dark' sign.

For greater intensity than the passive glow in the dark, you could spotlight it with a 'black light' and it will glow like crazy.

-Jon

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hang it on jack chain, and strap MC cable on one of the chains.
No problemo. Go to a Costco, you'll see these all the time.

Keri_WW

Perhaps go non-electric, eg. a 'glow in the dark' sign.

I've seen numerous jurisdictions around here that shy away from self-luminous, tritium filled exit signs. Guess they don't like things that are radioactive! :grin:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
sign attached to octagon box ---> attached to uni-strut (kindorf) ---> attached to jack chain ----> attached to ceiling structure.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There are two exits on opposite sides of the space. The front is easily accessible as far as conduit is concerned. The rear is the one surrounded on all sides by windows.

This place is a distribution warehouse for DVDs. Not open to the general public.

Open to the general public does not matter. That is why the sign above doors now says "these doors shall remain unlocked while the building is occupied" and not ".........during business hours". Remember that any door leading to the exterior of the buiding is considered an exit. Now the building code does dictate when an illuminated exit is required so per the occupancy you may only need an exit sign, unless the owner or arch is specing something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.