More Chinese Drywall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrannis

I have had two calls this month for estimates to replace devices at houses that were "contaminated" with Chinese drywall.
The GC, and I really do not like working for GCs, said that the ceiling was OK and only the walls were rocked with CD (Chinese drywall)
Questions:
Have any of you guys been involved in these type projects yet?
if so,
Are you just changing the devices or also replacing the NM?
If just the devices,
Are you going to replace them with TRs?
Breakers,
Are you changing the breakers?
if so,
Are you reinstalling Arc Faults?

I was thinking of leaving the NM,
Installing TR receptacles
Installing Arc Faults
Replacing the Smoke detectors

The house is 6,000 sf and has over 200 recessed lights. Too bad the ceiling isn't condemned :grin:

Any reasonable input would be appreciated

Thanks,
John

I did a walk thru with a GC here who has 20 homes with Chinese drywall. They are preparing for the worst and removing all interior down to the framing. Leaving only plastic boxes. Exterior wiring will only be replacing feeds from interior. Panel will remain but breakers are to be tested.
On the bright side at least the holes are bored/bushed.
I did however read just recently that there is a government commission on the subject. But that will probably take far longer than anyone wants to wait to get their opinions.

cruzJD

I have done 5 so far. The inspectors say gut the place and turn it into a full remodel and bring it up to current code. If this job was in my county you would be replacing 200 recessed lights.

The GC wants the jobs done fast with little notice. I thought it was everywhere.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK i have to assume that this is not a national issue
And I need an education. Someone please tell me what "Chinese Drywall" is, before I shut down this thread as being offensive to persons of a specific nationality.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Thanks for the links. I'll let the thread stay open. But let's stick to facts, and not to allegations.

jrannis

OK,
Just got back from the place.
It seems as though they had a second floor "kids suite" installed over part of the house and the three car garage. Close to 2500 or so sf.

The HO wants the whole house gutted and ALL of the drywall, Romex, devices and the recessed lights replaced.
AND,
the sound, security, CATV, dish, cat 5e.

I dont want to turn down work but is it really ethical to replace the Romex and all of the low voltage system wiring?

It seems to me that the margin for device changes would be greater than re-roping a house. This would be a great argument for using EMT

satcom

OK,
It seems as though they had a second floor "kids suite" installed over part of the house and the three car garage. Close to 2500 or so sf.

The HO wants the whole house gutted and ALL of the drywall, Romex, devices and the recessed lights replaced.
AND,

I dont want to turn down work but is it really ethical to replace the Romex and all of the low voltage system wiring?

It seems to me that the margin for device changes would be greater than re-roping a house. This would be a great argument for using EMT

Just look at the ground wire, the damage has wicked up into the covered cable, I would think it would not be ethical to not replace the cables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNd_r8LHSEQ

AV ELECTRIC

I wonder what there doing in china If all there drywall is contaminated this could be alot larger problem there and world wide.

Cavie

OK,

AND,

Any and all things copper must be replaced. Plumbing, A/C and Electric. It all is damaged. The hollow cores of the block walls must be ventelated after all the drywall has been removed.

CopperTone

And I need an education. Someone please tell me what "Chinese Drywall" is, before I shut down this thread as being offensive to persons of a specific nationality.

the drywall comes from China and is hazardous and defective - Chinese Drywall - it being hazardous and defective has nothing to do with it being offensive to anyone. Its the same as the toys that had lead paint in them - the factory in China used lead paint for the toys - Chinese Toys - same thing.

Calling it chinese drywall is easier for people to understand what the OP is talking about.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you were trying to convince the customer tro replace everything without knowing the facts, maybe not.

But, if the customer is insisting, and has presumably done his own research, then yes, absolutely ethical.

jrannis

If you were trying to convince the customer tro replace everything without knowing the facts, maybe not.

But, if the customer is insisting, and has presumably done his own research, then yes, absolutely ethical.

I based my opinion on an article titled Side Effects May Vary, damage from drywall, part 2 by David Shapiro in the October issue of Electrical Contractor Magazine writer@davidelishapiro.com

Status
Not open for further replies.