help using the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonka_man

hey guys im a first year electrical student and i am having trouble finding stuff within the NEC handbook. is there a site somewhere that i can type in what im looking for and it will tell me the acticle number?

thanks tonka

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

I agree with Chris, this forum is a great resource for learning the NEC.

You might also think about getting the NEC handbook on CD-ROM. The CD has search capabilities that are very useful.

Chris

cadpoint

Well the Codes the Code...

The index is half the key, a word will not appear in the index unless it is used twice in Code Book. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary is your other related point of reference, as to a words defintion.

Both - Pulling from my Memory of previous posts posted. :cool:

U'd be well advised to soak in the MH Web Site theres a lot of Free and informative "Stuff" here, and every one an always use some more "Stuff"...

Search or Advance Search, work's great here as well, use various term's, individual Article numbers, or single term's, and U can usually find a close answer, note the title of the thread that's found from your individual query/word will usually be inside the located thread. In your case read the low count responses to you query, you'll fine your answer quicker.

Welcome Aboard! :cool:

tonka_man

well thanks guys i have a few problems on a work sheet that i nor any of my fellow classmates can seem to find the answer to. if i post 'em up will you give me an idea as to where i might find them?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
well thanks guys i have a few problems on a work sheet that i nor any of my fellow classmates can seem to find the answer to. if i post 'em up will you give me an idea as to where i might find them?

Absolutely.

Roger

tonka_man

ok guys here goes i need to know what goes in the blank and where its found word for word in the code. thanks for all your help.

1. Non metalic boxes shall be suitable for the lowest ________ conductor entering the box.

2. Nonmetallic surface extensions must be secured in place by approved means at intervals not exceeding _________in.

3. a 2 1/2in rigid metal conduit enters the back of a pull box with a removable cover on the opposite side. the raceway encloses four 4/0 AWG THHN copper conductors and one 4 AWG equipment grounding conductor. the minimum depth (distance from the entry wall to the cover) for this pull box is ______in.

4. where nonmetallic boxes are used with open wiring, the conductors must enter the box through __________.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think you may not be using what's readily available..

#2. I went to "Non-Metallic Extensions" in the NEC index ('08 Pg.809) and it list "securing & Supporting" and gives you a reference Article.

#1: Index Non-metallic boxes references you to Boxes-Non-metallic (pg 787) and gives you good references.

#3 Boxes- l (pg 787 again) sends you to junction boxes...size...etc.

I think some time in the Index --pgs 785-822 might prove helpful...

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Does anyone think there is a problem with this question.
"1. Non metalic boxes shall be suitable for the lowest ________ conductor entering the box. "

I am not reffering to the fact that there is a correct answer, but that it could mislead somone thinking that a Nm box is a do all for this situation.

tonka_man

ok so im still a little confused about #3. could someone clear it up bit. its not in there word for word. at least thats how the rest of the worksheet is.

Status
Not open for further replies.