Add Wire Length for Elbows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
The estimating software I'm using does not add any extra wire for elbows. I've typically thrown some extra on to cover the bends, but the way things are bidding, I need to be a tight as possible. I really started to think about it when I was working on this 3000A feeder with 2 4" 90s and 2 45s.
Are there any good formulas out there?

Thanks,
Andy

satcom

Hey guys,
The estimating software I'm using does not add any extra wire for elbows. I've typically thrown some extra on to cover the bends, but the way things are bidding, I need to be a tight as possible. I really started to think about it when I was working on this 3000A feeder with 2 4" 90s and 2 45s.

Thanks,
Andy

If you have to be that tight on a bid, your in trouble already, you may better spend your time, looking in the want ads for a job with benifits and profit sharing, I see the estimators use their actuals books for tasks like that, not everything can be estimated with software.
I am sure some try to use software for everything, but many of the pros use a mix of software and logs they built over the years, that is how they make the big bucks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The estimating software I'm using does not add any extra wire for elbows.
Why would it need to? A bend has a shorter length than a sharp corner does.

Just ignore them, or think of them as providing the lengths lost in offsets. ;)

okeefe

Hey guys,

Thanks,
Andy

You are bidding this to tight if you are thinking about the extra wire in the elbows. Are your wire lenths the same from from your bid compared to what is used in the field?

tkb

If you measure at right angles, then your estimate will be fine.
90 degree sweeps use less wire because the corner is cut.

I would never buy wire based on the estimate.
Always pull in a tru-tape for a measurement.

Buck Parrish

Hey guys,

Thanks,
Andy

The guys in the field are going to ussually add some to it. Because we have learned our lesson about being a bit short.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now you guys peaked my interest here. What exactly is a true-tape? I've always stuck a fish tape in, and then pulled it back & measured. :confused:
Picture a combined ruler and fishtape.

Now picture a fishtape with ruler markings.

If you measure at right angles, then your estimate will be fine.
90 degree sweeps use less wire because the corner is cut.

I would never buy wire based on the estimate.
Always pull in a tru-tape for a measurement.

You're right about the right angles. Sorry, had a brain vapor lock last night.

Thanks.

cdslotz

I just add 15' (7 1/2' each end) to the total conduit length for make-up. There is no need to add for elbows.

Status
Not open for further replies.