help using the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nium

ok so im still a little confused about #3. could someone clear it up bit. its not in there word for word. at least thats how the rest of the worksheet is.

It's not going to be word for word for this question. You need to read 314.28(2)(A)Exception and determine the answer for yourself based on the largest conductor entering the box from the raceway. You can do it.

I've heard that NEC stands for Not Easily Comprehensible

tonka_man

It's not going to be word for word for this question. You need to read 314.28(2)(A)Exception and determine the answer for yourself based on the largest conductor entering the box from the raceway. You can do it.

I've heard that NEC stands for Not Easily Comprehensible

haha thats a good definition ok guys thanks for all of your help. trust me ill be back to ask for more questions throughout the next two years .thanks again

tonka

knoppdude

Help using the NEC

Help using the NEC

Tonka Man,
I have been an electrician for approximately 17 years, and over the last few years have begun to realize my own ignorance of the subject. I have bought a few books on the subject, but the two that I seem to turn to all the time are the NEC handbook, and Mike Holts understanding the NEC 2005 edition. I find that I am reading sections several times, and then re-reading them again later. When I finish volume 1 I am going to buy volume 2. When I first got the book, I thought it was going to rehash the handbook, but it goes quite a bit farther. So, I would highly recommend these two books to start. I wish I had access to the understanding book at the outset of my career, it would have made learning easier for me. As for this forum, even though I don't write much, it is a gold mine of information. My two cents. Good luck, and don't give up the search for greater understanding of the electrical trade, it is a lifelong persuit.

Article 90.1

I learned the NEC using the "Bart Simpson" method; every time I got in trouble in my Vo-Tech class I had to copy an entire article, verbatim, by hand. Most of my punishments were earned for inciting wirenut wars, and, or putting a k.o. under a lamp on someones project board...

The one source that really helped me learn the code, was something like, Applied Codeology, wherein the author teaches the reader to break the NEC into sections. To this day, I think of a code question as "plan," "build," or "use." Ie. is the question at hand asking you to find information about planning an installation? then turn to chapter 2. Is the question about an installation? Then look in chapter 3. If the question is about something that uses electricity (motor, XFMR, Luminaire...), then turn to chapter 4.

I may not have the lay out just right, but you will get the picture as you dig deeper into the book.

Online code resources are great, but get familiar with the actual code book, because that is the only resource you will be able to use for any licensing test you may take in the future.

If you read the trade magazines regularly you can find good articles on specific code sections. You will do well to take the "code quizes" in the same publications.

Good luck, have fun, enjoy your journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.