Motor's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken44

Are there any NEC requirements or other standards that anyone may know about that state that EMT (or similar raceways) cannot be ran directly from a panel board or junction box to a motor's connection box without the use of flexible conduit at the motor? I would think that with all the vibration from a motor, that it would not take long to lose the bond between the conduit and the motor's connection box (or as we called it in the Navy, a peckerhead).

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Why would anyone hardpipe to a motor in the first place? Are you just curious if it's legal or do you have an electrician wanting to do it that way?

Everytime you changed a motor you'd have to rebend the pipe to match the new motors j-box connection.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
This is not a NEC issue. Vibration is addressed ten times in the 08 and motors and transformers are not mentioned.

ken44

Motor's

Yes, there is a contractor who wants to hard pipe directly to the motor and I could not find anything in the NEC that says it is illegal.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are there any NEC requirements or other standards that anyone may know about that state that EMT (or similar raceways) cannot be ran directly from a panel board or junction box to a motor's connection box without the use of flexible conduit at the motor? I would think that with all the vibration from a motor, that it would not take long to lose the bond between the conduit and the motor's connection box (or as we called it in the Navy, a peckerhead).

I don't think the NEC prohibits it, but putting in a short piece of flex makes working on it later a whole lot easier.

I have seen it now and then, I suspect because it is cheaper than adding in a section of flex.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Often a flexible wiring method is used as its easier, and many times the motor has to be moved for alignment.

We have a customer that puts most of their motors on cord and plugs because their product is very time critical and even a few minutes difference in changing out a motor or having to pull one so repairs can be done on a piece of equipment could cost a lot of money.

It adds to the cost of install but keeps the plant up and running.

The spare motors already have a cord and plug attached.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, there is a contractor who wants to hard pipe directly to the motor and I could not find anything in the NEC that says it is illegal.

I was hoping you were just curious. I never thought any electrician would want to hardpipe a motor, it doesn't make sense to do it that way....

joebell

Hard pipe ,in addition to to the vibration factor, I think would get in the way if the motor ever needed to be replaced. The flex method provides a source of vibration isolation and offers flexability if the opening on the a replacements motor housing is in a different location. Purely just opinion though.

BTW I have seen transformers hard piped in the past

Last edited:

glene77is

Ken,
I am curious.
If ""Vibration is addressed ten times in the 08 and motors and transformers are not mentioned.""
and you have ""Vibration"",
Then I don't think you need to be concerned
whether its a motor or not.

That said, what was the final outcome?

Good Luck.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.