200 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SPARKS

I had inspection today and got knocked down for no main breakers on panels. The service is 5 meters with small 2 circuit panels below feeding 2 or 3 branch circuits to each apartment. The insp said if I had more than 6 breakers I needed a main ? He said to call tomorrow for code reference but to me 230.71 (a) is the only thing I can find and if I'm not mistaken this refers to either 6 or more meters or if each panel has 6 or more breakers. Am I interpreting this wrong?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think you have the right article, but the wrong interpretation. The essence is that you have to be able to turn off a building with no more than six throws (i.e., breakers). You are allowed more than one service to a building, but only under certain circumstances that do not match your case. If you had, for example, a 480 volt service, and a separate 208 volt service, you could have six throws for each, with a total of 12 throws. Or if it were a very large building with a 2000 amp service at each end, you could have six throws for each, with a total of 12 throws.

But you have one type of power coming in, and that means you have only one service. The fact that you have 5 meters does not make that count as five separate services with an allowance for six throws each.

raider1

Staff member
230.71 (a) is the only thing I can find and if I'm not mistaken this refers to either 6 or more meters or if each panel has 6 or more breakers. Am I interpreting this wrong?

230.71(A) is dealing with multiple disconnecting means as the service disconnect. Meters are not disconnects.

If each panel has a main breaker then you would be fine, but if the panels are MLO panels then if each panel has 2 or more breakers then you have more than 6 disconnecting means.

Chris

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
So, just to clarify...if I had 3 meters and each had a panel with only two circuits in each I wouldn't even need a main breaker at all?

I did not realize that.

raider1

Staff member
So, just to clarify...if I had 3 meters and each had a panel with only two circuits in each I wouldn't even need a main breaker at all?

I did not realize that.

Correct, the service disconnecting means can consist of up to 6 switches or sets of circuit breakers that are grouped in one location.

Chris

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Correct, the service disconnecting means can consist of up to 6 switches or sets of circuit breakers that are grouped in one location.

Chris

Thanks, I guess it's just so easy to get used to doing the same thing over and over and forget that there are other situations out there that don't fit in to the things you've always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.