Keeping hands clean tip....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

Yesterday I had a service call in a commercial kitchen that had a drain leak from a l dish washing machine, the wall cavity was full of nasty sludge and grease. during the plumbing repair the maint. guy wanted to have some electrical moved to another location before he made repairs to the wall, on my way to pick up materials, I stopped at a Harbor Freight store and picked up a box of extra large latex rubber gloves, it made my less than pleasant service call a little more tolerable. I dont know why I didnt think to buy a box to keep on the truck years ago....

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm used to the nasty stuff getting all over me. We do a lot of work on dairies and it all washes off in the end. I also keep rubber boots on the truck for when the crap gets really deep.;)

What I really hate are the residential service calls that are scheduled to come after I've been working on the farm that day.:mad:

SEO

A lot of car mechanics wear latex gloves. I thought that they looked silly but tried some when I changed the oil in one of my vans and they work great.

ultramegabob

you can also use the latex gloves for clean work, for example installing expensive light fixtures so there are no finger prints on them

I was thinking they would be good to use when pulling M.C. cable through a suspended ceiling, then pull them off to go back an replace the tiles.

Power Tech

I use the green Nitril 5mm?

Started using them after a machine shop was using them.

Very tough and comfortable.

I use the grey Samson gloves from Galeton. You can finger the smallest screw.

Great for pulling wire and friction.

My hands have finally healed up.

Power Tech

I was thinking they would be good to use when pulling M.C. cable through a suspended ceiling, then pull them off to go back an replace the tiles.

I used to think gloves were like; Should I wear lipstick, or what color fingernail polish should I wear.

I have heard the flex grease gets in your system. Don't know if there is anything harmful.

It's probably okay if you are not planning on having kids.:D

e57

I used to think gloves were like; Should I wear lipstick, or what color fingernail polish should I wear.

I have heard the flex grease gets in your system. Don't know if there is anything harmful.

It's probably okay if you are not planning on having kids.:D
Ahhhh - all romex and other insulation plastics are a lead contamination hazard over time....

Other than that - I wear latex gloves all the time - my finger prints on walls are expensive, and some times the funk at some sites are enough to warrant it.

MAK

Nitrile v.s. latex gloves

Nitrile v.s. latex gloves

Just to add to this topic, I think Nitrile gloves would be a better choice to stock on the truck than latex. For one thing, a box of latex gloves in direct sunlight will melt together rendering them useless. Nitrile gloves are usually much more durable than latex gloves. Latex gloves tend to break down quicker when you are sweating. If you have employees usually Nitrile gloves are supplied because some people have skin reactions to the latex.

When I work on clean jobs I always use nitrile gloves because I end up using less of them. I could wear them under a set of work gloves for the rough kind of work and when I would take my work gloves off the nitrile gloves would stay intact and still usable for the not so rough work. The latex gloves would fall apart or if you caught it on something sharp it would tear easily. Vinyl gloves are useless IMHO.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I wear them as some electricians I meet are afraid if they shake an inspectors bare hand some Code might rub off :)

hockeyoligist2

Yesterday I had a service call in a commercial kitchen that had a drain leak from a l dish washing machine, the wall cavity was full of nasty sludge and grease. during the plumbing repair the maint. guy wanted to have some electrical moved to another location before he made repairs to the wall, on my way to pick up materials, I stopped at a Harbor Freight store and picked up a box of extra large latex rubber gloves, it made my less than pleasant service call a little more tolerable. I dont know why I didnt think to buy a box to keep on the truck years ago....

Get some paper suits to go with them. I use them often, but I work for the sewer Co.

Quote "Not so sure about the PPE value of them...."

Protective gloves and paper suits are PPE on my job.

Last edited:

ultramegabob

Get some paper suits to go with them. I use them often, but I work for the sewer Co.

Quote "Not so sure about the PPE value of them...."

Protective gloves and paper suits are PPE on my job.

I have a couple sets of coveralls that I keep in the truck and just wash them when they need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.